Author Topic: Power vs. Speed  (Read 12974 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Power vs. Speed
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
I have not had the opportunity to run anything on a dyno, but I have good friends that swear by them. During a recent "Dyno" conversation, one such buddy said that his bike made more power in 1st gear. Somehow, the dyno showed better numbers in 1st over 2nd, so he always gears the bike to suit pulling 1st gear. Most people hillclimb in 2nd gear, rarely having a shift and even more rare for someone to pull third out of the hole. This concept of one gear showing better numbers than another gear, confuses the crap out of me. I always thought, "a motor has this much power and the transmission is the equasion of a final drive ratio of the primary gear and sprockets."
  Is it possible for a bike to have better dyno numbers in one gear over another, or is this a misconception or even a bad theory of reading the dyno power/torque numbers? I read on another thread about which gear the bike will be dyno'd in, and it got me wondering how that impacts the readings, and if it gives accurate ones with this variable....? Thanks again for the education.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
The actual traction thing vs. what your bike can actually pull is huge.  A few years ago we had a sand drags race here and the quad four stroke classes had everything from 8 paddle tires to like 16 paddle tires.  The guy on the 8 paddle tire won that class overall.  He got spanked by the unlimited Banshee winner in king of the hill though, but nonetheless, he was set up for that dune...  Most "stock" quads pull best on an 8 paddle.

Later, I talked to the guy at skat-trak and even with almost 80 hp on the rear tire he still recommends a 10 cup paddle for the mighty KX5 in the sand, not 12 or 14 like some people think...  Just food for thought.

stewart

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »
i have 8  and 14 paddle paddles tires i think the 8 paddle turbo  paddles hook up great my 14 scat track paddles seems okay for real low speed loose climbing

Offline don46

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
ive tried just about every paddle out there 8, 10, 12, 14, hookers, vipers, turbos and dominator.hillclimbing in loose conditions we use 14 paddle, viper on the 450, hooker on the 490, dominators on the 650 and 1000. in really hardpacked conditions we'll run a knobby, IRC M5B seens to work the best the terra flex has to stiff a sidewall.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21:50 AM »
You guys will get me dq'd,  :lol: :lol: No paddles in Amatuer/Semi Pro Hillclimbing. Everything has to be originally a nobby tire. On the KDX I have a cut tire. Its a Budds Creek where I took all of the square nobbs off and left the rectangle bars. Basically removing every other row and leaving a tire with short paddles (sort of). This technique allows a little more spin right off the log. That allows you to pull a little taller gearing and still has some good hook up on the rough stuff at higher speeds. I won't have the same isuue getting the tire spinning with the 500, I'm sure. I was just fishing for some new ideas for adjustments. I guess the theories don't vary as much as I expected.

Here's the closest that I can get to paddle tires....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:37:02 PM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
Well, should have been asking how to hook it up in the slimy mudd. The race was a rainout, basically, but being the first race of the season, noone even mentioned not racing. Everyone spent their money and was ready to do it. It was beautiful weather on Friday, when we went down to get the festivities started early. The benefits of having a stock bike, is blazing some trails, when you show up before everyone else. :-D
  Friday night into saturday it poured. A small river was running down the hill an hour before the event. Anticipation was definately turning into Procastination for everyone. With the help of a couple guys and a box blade on a tractor they managed to clean off some of the slop in the hole and on the first breaker. The second breaker was unreachable with the tractor. the mud there was at least a foot deep to walk in. I have video of all of it, but am having trouble with the editing software. One step forward and two steps back with this computer software stuff for me. It was a brutal night of wrecks and wash-outs. I managed to win the 200 cc Class and the 400 cc stock length class, then like 9th of 17 in the 600cc Class, on the 500. The 600 class is the crazy fast class, here. I started with a 14- 49 that launched out of the hole, but I could not get it to hook up on the last part of the hill. It landed in the mud and sounded good, but could not hook up. The new stretchers were working against me a little on their maiden voyage. I could spin the wheel with little effort, which is important in the hole, but it wanted traction for the slimy deep mud. Its runnin' awesome, but a stock length or shorter extensions would have been a big help.
 Again on Saturday night it rained like cats and dogs, and we awoke to a lake with grass in it, that we were calling the spectator area. I got up early and changed gearing in hopes of finding some traction. I went down to a 13-49, shortened the adjuster bolts and let out some pressure to about 8lbs. It went faster, but was unable to hook it up enough still. It was even muddier than on Saturday, but not sure if that was the right gearing choice either. Lots of guys and girls  wiped out on Sunday, but I managed to keep them rubber side down. 2nd on the 200, but not 100% sure on the stock class and the 600 class, because Payout was closed by the time, I got there. I know I had second in the 200 class because of the enveleope that was waiting on the window. Stock classes are last, and on Sunday everyone is ready to get going home. :| I was close to the top 5, but not close enough as they say. I have the footage, as soon as I can get my software fixed, I'll post a link.
 Preparing for this weekend, I'm even shorter, about an inch, with a better tire, and doing the anti-rain dance :lol:. But in Indiana/ Illinois, I might as well learn to race in it.

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 04:28:29 AM »
Got it edited with the new software. Still working out some bugs, it appears. Finally got my pc to update and download the software. Only took 4 days. :lol: The playback on youtube is very small for some reason. I'm sure its user error. I will try to fix it.
Here's the abbreviated race. I have about an hour worth of footage, but max on youtube is 10 min.s.
  Here's the link to my half a** vid. Anyone know what I did wrong right off the top of your head? My sanity is being tweeked to a point that I'm not sure I will come back from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_89b8DokkI

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »
Everything has to be originally a nobby tire.

skat trak vulcanized paddles start out as nobbys
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
Why not just run a Terra-Flex ? CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
Fixed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUs1ar0k2c

Terra Fles is a big heavy stiff sidewall tire. It takes alot of ponies on our hills to turn that tire, and be fast. Although for those conditions it would have probably been ideal. The 500 is gonna work in normal conditions alot better. White City this weekend. King of the Hill Race. Close as we get to the guys in Joplin. You guys have any sick days built up?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:31:17 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 12:06:51 AM »
 White City was another super muddy mess. The 500 was fast enough to get me into the King of the Hill. That is a one round shoot out between the top ten riders of the day. I was 7th fastest of the day. I had a very good ride that the time was missed on, which happens occassionally. Sometimes you get a better ride, but usually its a touch slower like mine was. I wound up 5th fastest in the King of the Hill round. I was a little discouraged to be honest. I was holding the 500 tapped for the entire ride, and even though they missed my best time, I didn't feel like it was good enough to win the class or the event. It felt overgeared, but I was already running 13-49. I knew I could not be low on power unless I had a prioblem of some sort. I just knew I needed about 5% more power. I made me a little check  list of things to look at and go over, and wow, did I ever find the problem.
  My serious brainfart. When I was in there checking out the goods of my newly rebuilt motor, after my break in ride, I somehow got the powervalve arm outside of the double washer deal. Yep, that's right. Three races with no powervalve hooked up. I almost passed out when it dawned on me, how fast this bike is. I don't know how much power that i left on the table, but I am thinking alot more than I needed to win the event.  :-o This bike is going to be sick fast. I really wanted to post better finishes, but am prepared to dial it in, and realistically figured 4-5 races before I get it set-up just right. I think the powervalve is going to help. :lol: