Author Topic: k5 clutch issues  (Read 9538 times)

Offline 98kaw500rider

k5 clutch issues
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
Just installed a new dirt racer heavy duty clutch on my 98 kx500 and the center of the clutch basket just spins when i tighten down bolts. I dropped it in gear and pull the clutch in and it will not disengage ( while trying to spin back tire ), what did i do wrong ? I did notice the springs were longer than the springs that were on the bike prior. When i pull the clutch in the plates on the basket do all move out like they should , I know the center of the basket shouldn't be spinning. Any help would be great !
Thanks

stewart

Re: k5 clutch issues
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
does it have drive plates and frictons plates in there

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
of course ... :roll:

stewart

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »
is the long rod in the center  and the small cap inside the bearing the rod contacts in the center of clutch

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
yes, i flipped the rod because it had alittle wear on the lever side . should i flip it back ?

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »
The answer is the springs. Install the stock springs and the problem will be fixed. My buddy just went through the same thing,.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
Is the pressure plate lined up correctly with the hub. On some bikes the pressure plate only goes on one way and if you don't get it keyed right with the splines on the clutch hub it will not go together and it will never apply force on the plates. the splines I'm talking about are the splines that the metal clutch plates slide on to. remove the springs and bolts and try clocking the pressure plate differently until it slides all the way on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:28:12 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:05:23 AM »
Is the pressure plate lined up correctly with the hub. On some bikes the pressure plate only goes on one way and if you don't get it keyed right with the splines on the clutch hub it will not go together and it will never apply force on the plates. the splines I'm talking about are the splines that the metal clutch plates slide on to. remove the springs and bolts and try clocking the pressure plate differently until it slides all the way on.

Good point. I forgot about this one myself.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:29:24 AM »
I changed back to stock springs , made no difference . What type of markings should i be looking for on the pressure plate and hub ? So far i have had zero luck , I have seen no markings . I have changed clutches on atv's before with no problems , never had this issue in the past. NEED ADVICE , any help would be great. I have had this apart trying to figure it out for 2 days now , i have changed a clutch in 20 minutes in the past on other bikes . WTF  . . . .  :x   H E L P  :?

Offline BDI

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »
take the clutch plates out and try it in every position. I have not done a kx500 clutch in a couple of years so I don't remember if it is that way :| some are some are not. None the less if you try it in all six positions there will only be on that it will go on further then the rest. did you count the plates ? There's not real much to screw up on this. Why did you decide to change the clutch? Is it possible ther was another failer and you are changing the clutch thinking that was what was wrong?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
It won't disengage while trying to spin the back tire?

Are you saying that, in order to tighten the bolts that you need to put it in gear and then without the motor running, the clutch won't disengage? Like trying to push it while in gear is impossible while holding the clutch. I am trying to understand the symptoms. The inside is turning without the outside turning with all the plates and discs in there?
  The splines of the hub are all the way meshed. Teeth are meeting with the ridges on the inside, behind the big nut. It has that washer with the teeth, too right.
  You can see pressure plate moving when pull the lever?

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »
take the clutch plates out and try it in every position. I have not done a kx500 clutch in a couple of years so I don't remember if it is that way :| some are some are not. None the less if you try it in all six positions there will only be on that it will go on further then the rest. did you count the plates ? There's not real much to screw up on this. Why did you decide to change the clutch? Is it possible ther was another failer and you are changing the clutch thinking that was what was wrong?

What do you mean all six positions ? I decided to change the clutch because the clutch in it was worn , The bike sat for three years and the clutch was gummed up ( rusted in spots ). I replaced the clutch cable , perch , lever on case , and flipped push rod either ways . Is there a special way the pressure plate sits in  ?

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:20:51 AM »
Still can't get this clutch right ! Grrrrrrr.  :x

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
 did you look at an owners manual, or a parts diagram online?  Make sure all of your washers are where they are supposed to be.(Behind the basket,between basket & hub)  All it takes is for you to get them mixed up and there will be clutch issues.  Keep us up to date, with enough good guys on here & a parts diagram you'll get it figured out.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline BDI

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 07:10:16 AM »
When all else fails use the manual.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:19:45 AM by BDI »