Author Topic: Preaching from the soap box.  (Read 4420 times)

Offline tharden

Preaching from the soap box.
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
 I road with my cousin today and I dragged his 250 down the road.  I had about 4 to 5 bike lengths on him when I shifted into 3rd gear.  He can not rag on the k5 any more.  Any way, I found several problems that I had corrected.  I changed back to the uni air filter, cleaned 3/16" carbon off the exhaust port, put 168 main jet back in it, and took the flywheel weight off. 

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Preaching from the soap box.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D
    Have you tried starting off in 2nd?
 Tuck \o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline tharden

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »
Yes, I did start off in second gear this time.  I have been practicing with it for the past few months.

Offline lumpy790

• Moto Hose
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:30:44 AM »
500's should all come off the line in 3rd gear........slipping the clutch for the 1st 25 or 30 feet.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »
I'd rather pull a holeshot in 2nd gear.  With 3rd gear being in the middle of the tranny, if you start pushing some power out of these things, something bad could happen if the tranny flexes.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline mrhoney

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »
500's should all come off the line in 3rd gear........slipping the clutch for the 1st 25 or 30 feet.

Why is this?  Is there a good thread that gives the reasoning behind this?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
The main reason to start in 3rd is to make up the time while everyone else has to shift into 3rd. Typically you can gain 5-10ft by not having to shift, but you need to have the power to pull it and it is less forgiving on errors in technique.  Done properly, no one can stand against you.  2nd is much easier to do, more forgiving and is more commonly used.  I typically start in 2nd on my K5 even though I can pull good 3rd gear starts.  Last time I started in 3rd at an MX race was because the tranny was stuck in 3rd (in practise).  The K5 did get 2 holeshots and 2 moto wins.  Not many bikes can compete in one gear but the K5 can. Cam.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 04:16:29 AM »
At 155 lbs., the only place I would end up starting in 3rd gear would be on my a$$ !!!!   LOL

2nd gear starts 1/3 throttle, and as soon as the 5 honkey is putting down usable traction... WO !!

Wanna impress me? Do a 3rd gear start down a wet, muddy straight away on a KX500 !    LOL
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline toomany

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:30:26 AM »
At 155 lbs., the only place I would end up starting in 3rd gear would be on my a$$ !!!!   LOL

2nd gear starts 1/3 throttle, and as soon as the 5 honkey is putting down usable traction... WO !!

Wanna impress me? Do a 3rd gear start down a wet, muddy straight away on a KX500 !    LOL

I know exactly what you are saying. I weigh right around 150lbs with my gear on. Even sitting as far forward on the tank as possible, I can't do a 3rd gear start unless I murder the clutch. If the ground has good bite, I have a hard time with 2nd gear.

Last weekend I went to the sand dunes, the drag strip there is right down by the water so it's always has great grip. With the paddle tire and me droping down to a 12t front sprocket (since last time I actually tried launching hard), I couldn't keep the front end down. If I wasn't fast with the clutch lever when the tire hooked, the bike was going over.

Offline lumpy790

• Moto Hose
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »

Actually 3rd gear starts help tame down the hit. BTW.....you dont just dump the clutch....you feed it out controling the amount of power put to the ground.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »

BTW.....you dont just dump the clutch....you feed it out controling the amount of power put to the ground.

I've owned 5 KX's spanning the past 19 years, raced MX and Hare Scrambles for 21 years, been riding for 32 years..... thanks for the tip on clutch management....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »
HUH  :-o
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
Yeah guy, CAM's right.   Third gear is the way to go.  Rag the clutch for the holeshot!!!!!!!  Proved it many times....
'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
Maybe in motocross third works but for all out drag racing second gear is what you want to be launching in. If you can launch in third your gear ratio is way to low, :oops: opps there goes one of those speed secrets just flying out my mouth.  :roll: aaa now worries no one is listening anyway.

Offline BDI

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
I'd rather pull a holeshot in 2nd gear.  With 3rd gear being in the middle of the tranny, if you start pushing some power out of these things, something bad could happen if the tranny flexes.
I know my bike feels like it's going to break something if you try launching it in third. :roll: