Author Topic: kx500 1983 restoration. Help?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Hesford

kx500 1983 restoration. Help?
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:56:59 AM »
Hi. Iv only just joined this site. Mainly because i have just bought a kx500 1983 and need to fully restore it.
   I started the bike after buying it for ?200 and it run like s**t! so i stripped the whole thing down. Needs barrel re-lining, new piston and ring, big end bearing, left hand side crank case, all seals and bearings. The only good point is all gears in side have been changed at some point as they look very new.
   Needs a front caliper, gas bottle for the rear shock, air box, suspension needs reconditioning. Infact everything needs reconditioning! Its gonna take a while but hopefully it'll be worth it.
 I would appreciate any input about this bike, i want to know stuff like what parts are interchangable from other models and has anyone any parts for sale or where to buy them from. how many others have this bike?
  I will posts some pics up soon  Thanks, Chris

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: kx500 1983 restoration. Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »
Don't know much about the 83 but I just went through an 85 and found a few things that may help you out. 83 to 87 use the same gear sets, 83-85 same engine cases and side covers, 83-85 uses the same cylinder base gasket, I believe 83 and 84 are interchangeable for the rest of the parts. Ebay is your friend for finding all the parts you need. Not much can be bought from Kawasaki unless you stumble across some back stock. Hope this helps.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kxs in oz

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
Hi Chris first the engine cases are different 83 have a slight difference in the gear selector shaft area the offset height is different. 83 are a different frame in some areas than 84 tank and seat are different . The shock gas canister is 83 only try andfind a ohlins or wp shock the kawasaki shock is junk will not last the barrels are different between 83 and 84 reed block area reed valve aswell. I have alot of parts for these bike if you are interested i can help i and in australia and can ship no problem email me if you like sph70@tpg.com.au hope this helps you simon

Offline Hesford

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:43:29 AM »
well thanks for the input guys. much appreciated, anymore info would be aswell. could really do with casings to get the engine resto underway! simon i will email you and see what parts you have for me. thanks again, Chris
  im taking pics aswell so i can put them up some time!