Author Topic: 93 K5 complete rebuild from the ground up  (Read 11292 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
93 K5 complete rebuild from the ground up
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
I recently got a 93 KX500 (basket case) Decided before I picked it up that I was going to do a complete rebuild from the ground up. Top end was already disassembled. Engine was out of the frame. I plan to do a step by step the whole build with lots of pictures. May help someone in the future with their builds.

This is my first complete build of a K5 but by far not my first bike build. Been working on bikes since I was 14. Took a small engine class during high school. Also worked at 3 different shops setting up new machines (snowmobiles, jet skis, dirt bikes, and street bikes) Also did 99% of the 2 stroke rebuilds and 25% of the 4 stroke rebuilds.

On with the K5 build. This is what it looked like when I picked it up.

The night I got the bike I pulled the seat and put the green cover on it. I have never done a seat cover but it turned out excellent.

I have since stripped the frame down to get it powdercoated. I have an 88 frame that is in better shape that I am going to use instead of the 93. The 93 had 4 cracks throughout and about half of the mounting point threads are destroyed from people using standard bolts instead of metric or the wrong size.

93 frame

88 frame

The sub frame isn't in any better shape. Most of the threaded inserts are gone or there is a bolt broke off inside it. I'm looking for a better or new one.

I split the cases and revealed some issues. The crank bearings fell apart when I removed the crank. Not sure how but the right case half has a nasty chunk broke off the crank journal and a crack in the front. I have the piece that broke off. I will take it to a guy I know and have it welded back in and machined down to look like it never happened.

In 2 or 3 weeks I will be sending the frame out for powdercoating and ordering all the gaskets, seals, and bearings for the engine. When I get the frame back I will go through and put all new steering, swing arm, wheel, linkage, and shock bearings in.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

Re: 93 K5 complete rebuild from the ground up
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
Found some cases off a 2000 k5 for a good price. They should be here by the end of the week. Will post pics when they get here.

Did some research on the guy that was going to do all my powdercoating. Not good at all. A dozen or so people have had bad experiences with him. He claims to back his work up but when these people weren't satisfied he quit answering the phone and emails. So I'm just going to wait on the powdercoating and put the bike together. Besides it's been 40*+ for a week now and I want to ride :D

More to come in the next couple weeks.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:09:48 PM »
Thanks to ZETTNORCAL for all the parts. I finally got the 98 KX250 forks on the K5. Will get pics when it's daylight. Turned out nice. More to come for sure.

Offline Goat

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:56:11 AM »
Got some pics of the bike with the 98 forks on it. Bike is kinda put together. Waiting on parts to get the engine back together. The engine cases should be here on Monday. Ordering the new bearings Monday so I can get the engine lower half together. Still looking for a cylinder. Apparently it's hard to find a used one. Not sure if I am going to keep the green plastics or go with black. Either way I'm getting new ones.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:42:52 AM »
good work fella. as hannibal would say, 'I love it when a five comes together'. or sumthin.hang fire with your powdercoating and find someone who'll do it right first time, you'll be so glad you did.cant you replate the cylinder?
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Goat

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »
The cylinder has a sleeve in it and would have to be re-done the right way. I have a new cylinder coming. Thanks to Stewart.

Shipped my head to Jfab for compression release install.

Got my cases yesterday. They are in excellent shape except the lower bolt for the chain/case guard is busted off.

All necessary parts have been ordered and are on their way. Will be updating as I get parts in the mail. Ebay is your friend. Can get most everything you need for much cheaper than a dealer will charge.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:05:33 PM »
aint that the truth.kawasaki uk ought to have the decency to at least wear a mask and wave a shotgun in your face before they jack you.only place i can find the fiddly circlips, washers and junk though,and they know how to put a man size dent in your wallet.unless anyone has any better ideas.good work on the beast goat.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Goat

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
aint that the truth.kawasaki uk ought to have the decency to at least wear a mask and wave a shotgun in your face before they jack you.only place i can find the fiddly circlips, washers and junk though,and they know how to put a man size dent in your wallet.unless anyone has any better ideas.good work on the beast goat.

It's ridiculous. I got new circlips myself and they are anywhere from $4 to $8 a piece. Anyway... I got my cylinder from Stewart today. It's very good quality and very clean. Looks like it's brand new. Well worth the money. Thanks again Stewart.

Got my new wiseco piston yesterday. Just got one from ebay for cheap. Wanted to get a windowed one but funds are limited and wanted to completely rebuild the engine top to bottom. I can always get the windowed one the next time I refresh the top end.

Should have my gasket/seal kit tomorrow. Will be at least putting the bottom end together by Sat. So more pics to come.

Ordered new power valves and got the right side today. The left side and spur gear is coming straight from Japan so hopefully I will have them by the end of next week. The right side is technically all I need but I don't like half a$$ing anything. Do it right the first time and save time and money in the long run.

This is how I recieved the cylinder from Stewart. It's pretty lol.

Pulled the studs out of my old cylinder and installed them in the new one.

Like I said more to come in the next few days/week(s) Just depends how quick I get parts. Everything has been ordered that I need.

Offline Goat

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »
Gasket and seal kit I ordered is on back order until sometime in April so I just had my local shop order a standard complete gasket kit from Vesrah. I went and picked them up today. I ordered the seals from ebay tonight.

Jfab said he hopes to get my head shipped back to me by Friday. He is waiting on the cable kit to show up as he ran out. Can't wait to try it out. My boots will thank him :P

Was browsing craigslist Saturday and found a set (front and rear) of Cheng Shin tires for $20 so I went and picked em up. Not what I wanted but I couldn't beat the price. They still have nipples on them. They are kind of soft so I'm not sure how long they will last with the power of the 500. We will see.

Chain and sprockets came today as well as my White Brothers tether kill switch. Only waiting on my flex clutch lever and transmission seals now. 

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
 Hey man things are moving along right quick!
   Even with a few snags it's less than a month...
 Just in time for spring!
 I went out last fri and got about 1/8 mile from the truck and hit snow... and storm debris...like yourself I'm waiting on the elements ...
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 01:32:01 AM »
Looks very nice, good luck with everything. Im doing the same thing now,except for the frame and paint, i will be saving that for this winter..lol  :-D

Offline Goat

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 02:40:41 AM »
Thanks. It's coming along nicely. I gave up on powdercoating the frame for now. Haven't found a good place to get it done. I'm just rebuilding the engine and throwing it in. Spring came sooner than expected. I want to ride as much as I can before I go back to work for the summer. Don't get much free time once I start working.

Offline bike_boy_england

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 02:51:06 AM »
i use a company called cmsnl for all the circlips etc that i have used in rebuilding my 92 engine, genuine kawasaki parts but cheaper! this engine has had every worn part in there replaced through them. if they have the parts in stock, the delivery time to uk from holland is good. i dont know what it would be like to the states.
  alex

Offline Goat

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Have everything I need this build but always nice to know where to get cheap parts for the future.

Offline Goat

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »
Picked up my spur gear and left power valve Friday. The engine seals I ordered last week will finally be here today.

JFab shipped my head with compression release installed back to me on Saturday. So I figure I should get it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Today I hope to get the seals/bearings installed, get the trans put back together and bolted in the frame. May even get the cylinder put on and ready for the head. Should be posting some pics tonight.

Just waiting for the head and for the carb cap from Watercross and it will be ready to ride by the end of the week. Just in time for Easter :-D