Author Topic: Clutch basket removal issues  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Clutch basket removal issues
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »
Doing a complete rebuild on a 93 K5. Everything has been coming apart decently. I'm at the clutch basket  :-( I made a clutch basket holding tool. I can't get the nut that holds the basket on the shaft loose. It's not left hand thread is it? I checked the manual and it doesn't say anything so I'm guessing its just torqued on there. Any tricks or helpful info is welcome and greatly appreciated.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline SCKawi500

Re: Clutch basket removal issues
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
I used my snap on impact, cam right off, no problems....

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »
Goat, Its right hand threads. Put all of your clutch plates back in and then use an impact wrench to loosen. If you have the top end removed already, put rubber bands on the rod attached to the cylinder studs to keep the rod from slapping around. Some have used aluminum washers to wedge the clutch hub gear & the primary/crank gear to keep the hub from turning.
Hope this helps
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »
1/2" impact gun 120 psi and proper clutch hub holding tool.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Goat

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »
Alright thanks guys. My air impacts suck (gifts from family bought at walmart) so I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and use their impact.

I built a holder out of old clutch discs and fibers years ago for my tecate and it fits the k5 as well. Never had an issue with it. Didn't cost me a thing either :)
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:16:57 AM »
I would like to see you clutch holding tool. You should do a post about it  :-) cool home built stuff is great reading.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Goat

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:41:40 AM »
I used 3 steel plates and 2 fiber ones put them in an old basket I had to keep the discs lined up and drilled 2 holes all the way through and put bolts in to hold them together. I had an old yamaha wrench laying around I cut the end off and drilled holes through that and attached it to the discs. here are a couple pics.