Author Topic: increased steering rake angle or offset clamps?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline stroke.n.smoke

increased steering rake angle or offset clamps?
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:10:04 AM »
Has anyone increased the rake to try and get a little sharper steering?  The 500 is at 27 degrees, If you could get it too around 25.5 of 26 would it handle the tight stuff a little better?  What about aftermarket tripple clamps to cut down on the trail some.  Anyone have a source for parts or any ideas?  I did drop the front end in the clamps, I think it helped some but would like it to handle a bit better. 

Offline KXcam22

Re: increased steering rake angle or offset clamps?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 05:51:51 AM »
SNS,
  A common way to reduce the rake is to increase the ride height of the rear end.  Longer dog bones (easy to buy or build) will do it or sometimes it can be as simple as retuning the rear suspension (sag, spring, damping, or all 3) to ride higher in the shock's stroke. I found that the trick to steering the KX was weighting the pegs.  Try putting all your weight on the inside peg enterring a turn and see what happens. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
Stroke,
I have a set of 1/2* less rake triple trees for my KX250 which pulled the front axle back 1/2 inch over the stock clamps. Results were very minimal especially for what I paid for them.
As Cam stated you can change the Dog Bones to change the Ride Height (but you want them shorter, not longer). I have a set of adjustable pull rods (picture posted in the General section) that I can feel a BIG difference with them set at just 1 or 1.5 mm shorter. It is cold here now and will be glad to send off to Larry or JFAB (he's down with a thumb enjury) to have them duplicated if there is interest.

If you want to try a set of the clamps, get in touch with Terry Davis (Ty's Dad) @ TerryCable he probably can help you out.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kx666

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:56 PM »
SNS,
cam has a good point of chaning the hight of the rear end,  i haave found channging the fork hight in the tripple clamp can also help achive the angle you are looking for

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
Has anyone increased the rake to try and get a little sharper steering?  The 500 is at 27 degrees, If you could get it too around 25.5 of 26 would it handle the tight stuff a little better?  What about aftermarket tripple clamps to cut down on the trail some.  Anyone have a source for parts or any ideas?  I did drop the front end in the clamps, I think it helped some but would like it to handle a bit better. 

Increase the rake on a KX500 ??  :-o  !!!!!!   Hold on to those handlebars REAL tight !!!!!!! (or have a steering stabilizer !!!) KX500's already have a "death swap" characteristic at higher speeds, increasing rake will only further aggravate this...  :-o   Remember every adjustment has a positive effect in one area, and a negitive effect elsewhere.....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:17:10 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart