Author Topic: ethanol in gasoline??????????  (Read 3261 times)

Offline 500freak

ethanol in gasoline??????????
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:01 AM »
well ive been told that you cant run fuels with ethanol in it in a 2 stroke. is this true or are people just blowing smoke? i have searched on the net but cant find any solid info on this. we've just stared getting 10% ethanol fuels in my area so i hope this isnt true... any info will be awsome :-D thanks guys.
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: ethanol in gasoline??????????
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
I have been running 93 octane pump gas with 10% ethanol ever sence there was such a thing. No problems yet or maybe I have problems and don't know it.  :|
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »
It's harmless.
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline kx666

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
the fuel / oil mix is not as stable with ethanol fuels, espessally full synthetic premix (usually only used in kart racing due to reguations for easy spill cleanup and power equipment).  Dumonde Tech oils found that blends or casters perfom better and supply better were protection then synthetics in 2 stroke applications.

in the early 90s they stated using methyl tertairy butyl ether to oxyganate fuels per epa requirements. MTBE is not as bad as ethonal but still produced simalar effects: draws mosture, reduces stability of premix, evaperates quickly...  ethonal in addition also will rott rubber, so your crank seals, fuel line, fuel vent lines and petcock will need servicing more frequently. If you didnt notice much in the 90's you may notice little change after 2006.  Low octain (87 to 96 Motor octain, not research or an average) race fuels are a better option if they are available also the spicific gravity plays a big part on the operation rpms and heat generated from the motor.

I am by no means a fuel expert, and my understanding of fuels may not be 100% accurate if this is the case please correct me.

-steve

Offline 500freak

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
when you say it makes the premix unstable, do you mean that the gas/oil will seperate easier?
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline kx666

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
yes, the oil seperates. sorry wrighing and spelling are not a strong point of mine.   :wink:

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
It's harmless.

Not true.
E10 won't be harmfull as long as you continually roll the fuel over and maintain fresh fuel in your tank. The major problematic issue with E10 begins when the fuel will sit dormant for extended periods of time. E10 has an extremly short shelf life (as short as 30 days) before "phase separation" begins. E10 will leave a corrossive algae type residue on the insides of fuel system components causing major debris type clogging of the jets and inlet needles and seats. E10 also is a mositure attractant, and the water will sit near the bottom and corrode metal fuel tanks. This crap E10 fuel is extremly problematic on long storage type items such as boats, snowmobiles, chain saws, and snowblowers that only see ocassional usage with long term storage. Trust me i've seen really BAD thingsn when a 2 stroke engine's main jet is partially clogged with the imfamous E10 "yellow death" debris ! Here is my new best friend for fighting the negitive effects of E10 fuel:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/93/123/lang,en/

Heres is the complete detailed effects and issues of E10 (excellent read) :

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:34:27 AM »
A good read,,,DirtBike magazine,,, March 2010,,, page 92,,,Fuel Myths. Ethanol to be avoided.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline greencannon

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
I wish I could avoid Ethenol, But like Polar-bus said, Don't let it sit around for to long and you'll be fine. A service tech I know said your actually better off with it being mixed with oil for two stroke, it helps stabilize it. If you worried about it use Sta-bil, I've been using it for about a year now with no problems.

Offline BDI

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
It's funny when someone brings me a bike and says it wont run. I ask how old the gas is ? they say three weeks :x i say the fuel is bad and fuel system needs cleaning.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:28:52 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
It's funny when someone brings me a bike and says it wont run. I ask how old the gas is ? they say three weeks :x i say the fuel is bad and fuel system needs cleaning.

That is the reason I quit working at the shops. People bring junk in and say it wont run. It's generally their lack of maintenance or stupidity.
Neighbors yell at me for my truck all the time cuz I let it warm up for 10 minutes before I drive it. It's kinda loud but I have had a lot louder lol. I tell them "I take care of my stuff you should do the same" they just complain and walk away.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »
 recently lost a bultaco motor to the new alc fuels here In. Cal.   They are the only thig that has changed in my routine with it In The past 18 years I have had it.  Cyl, mains rusted  .....  It sat more than it got run but never had this issue before the fuel. 

Also on my cross country ride 2years ago. Has the corn fuel back east make the needle and seat in my ktm (think it swelled it) not seal. Had to moderate the fuel with the pedcock for the length of Oklahoma. 

When it first hit. It melted alot of the nylon fuel filter screens I was running on my atv's to the point where they wouldn't pass fuel. 

Also melted the float in the carb on my 1936 ford.

If I dig deep I'm sure I can come up with more problems I have had with d**n ca fuel
I have now rejetted all my bikes to run on 100LL avgas .  No alc, nice  stability. Won't atract moisture,  and smells pretty to boot.   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:03:55 AM by Motorrad »