Author Topic: Year/Power Question  (Read 2602 times)

Offline dmg

Year/Power Question
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:53:10 AM »
My dad and I recently purchased a 2000 KX250 and a 2002 KX250. The 2000 has a brand new top end with a WISCO piston. The 2002 has very little use. They are both geared almost the same (2002 has one less tooth on back 48 vs 49) They both have PC pipes, but the 2000 has a PC silencer and the 2002 has stock.

My question: The 2000 feels slightly underpowered compared to the 2002. Not drastically, but I feel like the 2002 has more mid-range power. It is noticeable. I looked up the internal grearing, and I can see that they are different. How much of a difference would this make on how the mid-range power feels?

I am coming off a slightly modded KX500, so this new 2000 feels like a 125 right now. It is a ton of fun, handles the trails great, feels great in the air, but the power sure is a disappointment.

Any ideas on the power difference between the two? I was thinking about swapping silencers to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Darin

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Year/Power Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:06:40 AM »
DMG,
 Right off I don't know much about the 250's, however there are so many variables to consider it would be very difficult to pin down an answer.   If you had just re-built them both and broke them in Identically I think you'd have a much better idea of what put down more power.
  If you decide to swap out the silencers have a look at the condition of them.
There was a post not all that long ago about re-packing one, and the difference it made.  If the stock silencer has not been gone through that could be part of what your finding in their performance differences.
 I do understand the "Giggle Factor" of a smaller bike.  My son got an old xr250 last year.  After freshening up the top end on it I broke it in and took it out for a shakedown run of about an hour or so....probably half the output of your KX's but still High points for Grin per mile.
   Maybe some of the guys with more expierience in the KX 250's can give you some pointers as far as bang for buck on the bikes engine hop ups.

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:57:58 AM »
 I would say the gearing ratios in the gear box plus the sprocket difference is most of it. i noticed a definate improvement of my FMF shorty silencer over the stock one on my 250. I know you are trying to compare apples to apples, but alot of bikes have their own personalities. Gear and tweak to suit that bike. Trying to make them ride identical, will most likely lead you to having them set-up a little bit different. Its difficult to  have twins.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »
Hillclimb is right. Every machine no matter what it is has it's own identity. It may be the same exact model off the same assembly line but nothing will be exactly the same. 1 tooth in the rear will make a difference. I'm pretty sure the factory silencer has never been repacked (just by knowing people that buy bikes new) It's not a priority in most peoples thought process. They think "the bike is only a year old" they don't realize that packing a silencer is important. Still, I would say most of the difference is in the internals. You don't know if the weisco is a 8.5:1 or a 10:1 ect. The factory one could have more hours on it that you were told. There are a lot of factors to look at. Hope this helps.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.