Author Topic: probably been asked a thousand times  (Read 3584 times)

Offline godswrath

probably been asked a thousand times
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:16:08 PM »
just curious what would be the difference between a 85 kx 500 and a 2003 kx500. i have heard the suspension was really the only thing that changed.

Offline ZETTNORCAL

Re: probably been asked a thousand times
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:08:18 PM »
I am not positve, But the engines are different also. I know that the powervalve setup is changed on the newer ones.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:09:13 PM »
85 doesn't have a powervalve. Powervalves are nice but also a pain sometimes. 85 doesn't have a subframe. Shock linkage is goofy. There is a adjustable rod that connects to the top of the swingarm and to a pivot arm that bolts to the frame. The shock connects to a linkage at the bottom of the frame and to the pivot arm at the top. It works but it's not as good as the shock bolted to the frame at the top and linkage at the bottom. (I like to jump retarded heights lol)  The 85 also has a 18" rear wheel and drum brakes, Disc in the front. Any other questions about the 85 just ask. I have one sitting in my garage.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:14:13 AM »
The grips, chain and front inner tube might be the same but thats about it.  :-D
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Goat

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:17 AM »
The grips, chain and front inner tube might be the same but thats about it.  :-D

The 85 comes with a non o ring chain :P
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline dave916

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »
the 85 also had a boost bottle  and seem to have loads of power lowdown even thougth it did not have a powervalve and had a 40mm carb,,  would like to try the boost bottle on a later kx   

Offline godswrath

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
well i was just curious i have heard very little about this subject. so comparing the 2 which would be better. i have a 89 zx7 ninja. i like it better than the newer ones. i can hammer it and not worry about the front comming up where the newer ones have that problem so for me i like the older style better. i dont have a kx500 yet but am looking most think i am nuts simple because i will be riding hare scramble.

Offline yjh50

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »
the 85 also had a boost bottle  and seem to have loads of power lowdown even thougth it did not have a powervalve and had a 40mm carb,,  would like to try the boost bottle on a later kx   

What does this boost bottle do?  I have only heard of this term in relation to turbos?  What is the application?

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 03:31:22 PM »
well i was just curious i have heard very little about this subject. so comparing the 2 which would be better. i have a 89 zx7 ninja. i like it better than the newer ones. i can hammer it and not worry about the front comming up where the newer ones have that problem so for me i like the older style better. i dont have a kx500 yet but am looking most think i am nuts simple because i will be riding hare scramble.

The suspension is so much better on the newer KX500( 90-04) and the later even better yet. You are not going to need the HP that a 500 anything has to offer so if I were to chose, I would go for the handling over power everytime. I think the biggest bang for the buck is a 97-04 KX500. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think in 97 the last of the fork mods were done. You could always have your cake and eat it too....KX500AF!
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »
the suspension on the later ones is undoubtedly better, but a sorted 85- 86 will still do the business, just takes some cahones and a passion for a bit of retro in your life. powervalved 86 lump is NO slouch, especially when maintained with love.(and cash. and staying up till stupid o'clock finding parts.and laughing your ass off at the look on peoples faces when their NEW 450 diesels get their doors blown off by a 24yr old dinosaur.) :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 03:06:13 AM »
I would say the most important difference is that parts for the 85 thru 88 K5s are getting very hard to come by , some parts impossible , you know the needles in the snow drift as we like say here in PA. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline godswrath

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:27:47 PM »
i know what you mean by parts hard to find. my 89 ninja is almost impossible to get certain parts for. i have found a 2003 500 in pretty much mint condition. the guy that bought it is to short to ride it. i live in north carolina and he lives in pa and he will deliver it for 2950. seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Offline Goat

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 04:54:28 AM »
Sounds decent for a delivery. I would go for it myself if I was in that situation. If you do decide to get it post some pics :P

Offline godswrath

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

my new ride.

my other ride

Offline Goat

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »
Very clean bike. Congrats on the purchase.