Author Topic: 86 engine rebuild  (Read 2395 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
86 engine rebuild
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:33:57 AM »
just been having a scan through some of the problems people, clutch finger grooves filing out, and the usual rod,bearings and gaskets. and it ran like a train before.
i can only assume that said previous owner couldnt work out how to get inside the cases, and for these small mercies i am truly thankful for..... :-D

anyone got any good horror stories?
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: 86 engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
for some reason, half of that post was missing. the general gist was that the previous owner seemed to mangle anything he touched. he buggered the thread on the crank for flywheel and instead of sorting it properly, he CUT off the thread which was mullered to get to the remaining 15mm of thread behind it. then he went right ahead and did the thread on the output shaft too. these fools are sent to try us, but it wasnt half as bad as i expected it to be. just glad he didnt own a case splitter/didnt know how to use it.........
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:11:32 PM »
I've seen that all too many times. I just got an 85 k5 a couple months ago and started tearing it apart for rebuild. The (insert name of preference here) WELDED the nut on the output shaft to hold the sprocket on. Now I'm bidding on all the internal transmission parts out of an 84. Everything but the input shaft is the same part number. Lots of work for no reason. Could have been a $2 fix now it's gonna be 10 times that if not more. I hate backyard mechanics that don't know what they're doin.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:49:18 AM »
NUMBNUTS welded my output shaft too! LMAO :lol:

Offline agraebner

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »
Trying to look into the future,lol, I bought a whole spare tranny and bottom end when i got my 1986 KX500.  I picked her up from a crack head that had it advertiesed as runs great may need stator.  When I got there to check it out it was apart in two buckets.  I found cheap cycle parts online look up and just orderd what i didnt have from the pictures.  Later They called me and said most of it was no longer available.  This guy removed the head and base gaskets cause the rings were shot and he wanted to raise the compression.  The cylinder suffered a deep ring groove at the top of its travel.( through the plating and another 18 thou into the aluminum.  The add also said new chain and sprockets.  the chain sat so long it was rusted and siezed  it would barly roll.  Good thing I like working on my ride :)   On the bright side shes got a whole new ignition now.  New top end with replate.  spare piston and cylinder with fresh replate on shelf waiting.  Ive also replace every bearing and seal on the bike including suspension.  Now Im kicking myself for not having it powder coated or at least painted when it came home apart.  Guess Im just simple that way lol.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Got mine fired up for the first time since I bought it a few months ago. Put a new ring in. Piston was still well within spec and in very good shape. Started 3rd kick. Started easier than my 250 does lol. I had planed on taking it down the street when I got it running but we got a F*%$ ton of snow today and it's still coming down. Still waiting on a bunch of parts though. Replacing all the bearings, new handlebars, grips, clutch perch, front brake lever, air filter, and front brake pads. Coming along nicely. Gonna fire it up again when I wake up. Trying to get the ring broke in slowly.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline ktm250f74

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 06:24:37 AM »
my 86 had the sprocket welded to the output shaft too

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »
its all worth it in the end. if anyone sees a 'mechanic' goin near an output shaft with a welder, youve got my permission to kick f$&k out of him, then bring him round and knock f$%k out of him again just to make sure they get the message. here's to writing other people's wrong on our ageing ground based missiles and protecting them from fools......