Author Topic: Power Valve Assembly  (Read 3279 times)

Offline kawi4ever

Power Valve Assembly
« on: March 27, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »
Hi I have searched and searched to no straight answer.. What do you guys use on the power valves and the gears when you re-assemble them? I always used 2-stroke oil, but have heard that some people use WD-40 and grease on gears? Please set me in the right direction. Thanks  :-D

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: Power Valve Assembly
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »
High temp assembly lube is the best stuff in my opinion. I just got a new bottle from the local shop the other day for about $14 USD. It's a lot like anti seize but thicker and darker color. I bought Bel-Ray. Their may be a cheaper brand but I'm picky when it comes to engine stuff. I'm sure someone will chime in with another lube that they prefer.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
 MOs2  Moly Disulfied grease,
  This stuff won't burn and will stay put.  But it's not cheap.
  Honda sells a small Tube for like $10.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370324358369&viewitem=

I would like to try this stuff,  But it's hard to justify the $'s :    Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease
http://www.mcmaster.com/#dupont-krytox-grease/=6erzgr

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline junk man

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
then on the other hand a tube of grease will keep a long time if you don't miss place it

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:18:27 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.. Do you guys use 2-stroke oil on the valves them selves and the grease on just the gears?

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
 I Have a tendency to over do it...however the high temp grease isn't supposed to burn.
 So the gears,rack,pins , pin pockets and sleeves the barrels ride in.
     I used to use two stroke oil until it was pointed out to be this will burn and may help start carbon to build up.
The quality of the oil is much better now, but I understand the idea...
  The other thing to take into consideration is that motocross bikes have a very high maintenance shedual.
It's no excuse, but I really can't afford new rings every 5 meetings or a piston and rings every 10.
  Or something like that..  and while all that was apart I'm sure the powervalve assy. got serviced.
Soo.. I grease the moving parts where any contact is made,and wipe the cyl. and piston with pre-mix oil.
   Piston rings,bearings (top and bottom) get a squirt or two to make sure they're lubed as it they will pick-up oil after you get her fired up.  All I did by slather everything with oil previously was create a great big smoke screen and foul spark plugs...

Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:40:15 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
What about having the valves teflon,ceramic or similiar type coated??

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 04:14:22 PM »
  How Fast can you afford to go?  :-D
I would love to be able to not only send off the piston for ceramic top and bottom coat,piston skirt, cyl. head. intake ports, crankcase, and exhaust.   The Idea is to keep as much heat as possible working, and less transfer to the cyl and cases.    All bearings and tranny could be coated as well.
Oh the possibilities !

Tuck\o/

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-performance/bs-internal-engine-coatings.html

http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0612_engine_coatings/internal_coating_test.html

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.. Do you guys use 2-stroke oil on the valves them selves and the grease on just the gears?

I put a nice even coat of the assembly lube (moly grease) on any part of the power valve that touches the jug including the gears. Never had a problem.

I would love to get all the parts ceramic coated. They would last so much longer because they wouldn't be absorbing so much heat. May even be easier to clean the carbon build up during rebuild. If any even builds up on ceramic coat? So many mods and so little funds.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.