Author Topic: How hot should it get?  (Read 3590 times)

Offline ZETTNORCAL

How hot should it get?
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »
Well i just completed my KXF500SF conversion. I used the same hose configuration as the KX500 when I did the radiators, the engine outlet goes to the bottom of the left rad, then it crosses to the right rad at the top, finally out the bottom of the right rad to the water pump. I guess you would call this "in series".  Well both times I have ridden have only been about 20min. each. The cyclinder feels REAL hot and the rads are just barely warm to the touch. This has got me concerned. But this way was how it worked on the K5.  I took out my CR500AFC this morn to compare, and well the cyclinder gets hot and so do the rads. Not REAL hot though at the cycinder and the rads were much hotter then the KXconversion. It's got me going hhmmm? Do I just have an air pocket? I have checked the rads for flow (but off of the bike) Should I dissconect the rads at the crossover and run it to check flow?

Thanks Ryan

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: How hot should it get?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:48:53 AM »
You most likely know there's an air bleed screw on the head just left of the spark plug.
But just in case you didn't know.
KX 500 Rider

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:02:17 AM »
You know, I saw it but never put it together that mabey that's what I should try.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:55:01 AM by ZETTNORCAL »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:29:38 AM »
 Excellent Photo's and one clean machine Danger!
   Good call on the air bleed.  I decided a while ago that I shouldn't take anything for granted.
 Just because a guy hasn't been around here, Doesn't mean they haven't been around..
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »
you definitely need to bleed your cylinder of air,or you risk buggering your top end.and you dont wanna do that.Tuck-o's right Danger, looks sweet, nice work.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
Sometimes you have to fill the motor up with coolant with out the hoses hooked up to radiators. Then hook up the engine hoses to radiators. Then fill left radiator first, Then right radiator. Then leave radiator cap off, start motor and then put front wheel up onto a 3 foot stand.

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 03:20:48 PM »
Thanks Guys,
   I think that was my problem, I cracked open the bleeder on top of the head, alot of air came out! Enough air came out that I was able to add about another quart of water. I have'nt had a chance to test ride it yet but I think that was the problem.  The last Green bike I owned was an 88 KX80 back in 1988 so I'm just not used to these Kawi quirks?  Next weekend I'm off to Sand Mountain NV. for easter so I'll reallly test out the new conversion. If any of you want to come out that would be COOL!

Thanks a million    Ryan Zettler

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
depends how hot it got maybe think about installing a new heat gasket before your trip.

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 02:44:50 AM »
depends how hot it got maybe think about installing a new heat gasket before your trip.
I don't think it got that hot. But good call.  I do have an extra gasket set I'll bring. I am not too worried cause I'll be bring'n the whole fleet of bikes for backups! Even bring'n the banshee for the night rides!  Come on some of you got to be close enough to join us. We also got two Turbo Busa rails if you want to race? Anyone? I know my CR5 is faster so let's see how the KX5 does.

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 01:23:50 AM »
I have also noticed there is no way to get the air out without using all kawi's little air bleeder screws.. Post some pics of you completed bike if you can.. :-D

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
Sometimes you have to fill the motor up with coolant with out the hoses hooked up to radiators. Then hook up the engine hoses to radiators. Then fill left radiator first, Then right radiator. Then leave radiator cap off, start motor and then put front wheel up onto a 3 foot stand.
the first time reading this, I thought he was suggesting ripping a wheelie down the street with no rad cap on :? :lol: