Author Topic: Ignition Specs  (Read 3814 times)

VaKxRider

Ignition Specs
« on: February 18, 2004, 10:40:02 AM »
Being that I am a little pressed for time I thought I would ask the KX5 gurus this before searching.
I recently completely redid the top end and now she won't start. Gas is there, air is there, and spark is there but seems to be a little weak.

What measurments should I be getting from my ignition system?
i.e: Stator.

Rick

Ignition Specs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 04:10:56 AM »
Hmmm, I don't recall ever seeing any specs on stator output, so can't help you on that issue.

However, with the rebuild, I assume you installed a new plug, but thought I would mention it anyway.  A BR8EVX is the right ticket.

I'll continue to ponder the stator question.  If nothing else. I can take my bike apart and check the resistance in the coil.  You will need to have an ohms meter to duplicate the test.  This is really the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Rick

Sharc

Ignition Specs
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 05:42:28 AM »
Is the piston rotated the right way...? Is the crankcase flooded with fuel...? I look for simple stuff first. The spark on my 2002 has always seemed weak - runs fine though....

mikesmith

Ignition Specs
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 06:19:58 AM »
I know you just did the top end but maybe you should do a compression test,could be a ring broke during install?Are you using fresh fuel?Did you try to start it with a just oiled air filter?Is the spark weak?I just wonder why you picked it first as your problem?As Rick wrote try a new plug,and Sharcs right ..do the simple things first.

Rick

Ignition Specs
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 07:29:46 AM »
Gotta love those simple things that just seem to give us all fits....

VaKxRider

Ignition Specs
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 12:17:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone and I apologize for not responding sooner. I found why it would not start the next day. The choke plunger had now completely ceased to work but apparently everytime I would kick it over it would release on its own. My wife said I looked like Monkey Boy holding the choke up and kicking at the same time. (luckily I am rather tall and could pull this off).
As soon as I did that she fired right up. And I found the resistance specs in my manual and the both sides of the stator and the coil checked OK.
Now I am still having the same issue of it loading up at anything less than full throttle. After the rebuild I jetted to the specs on our jetting page but it still runs very rich (oil fowling  the plug severely).
Are the jet needles marked or do you have to measure them to determine what size you have? I am going to try and raise the clip first to see if that helps the situation at all. I have invested a lot of money into this bike and I want it to run the way it deserves to......

mikesmith

Ignition Specs
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 07:14:08 PM »
There marked,I find the spec's are rich on the jetting page,its a good place to start though,better start rich than lean.Start leaning it out one thing at a time,like the clip. If its still rich below WFO try a leaner pilot ect,it takes time and trial and error to get it right so take notes on how it runs with the best jetting for the the time of the year(if you run pump gas its differnt for winter/summer)weather(humidity/temp/altitude)so you can go back to what works when you rejet for summer,differnt altitude ect.

Sharc

Ignition Specs
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 10:48:28 AM »
If you got good gas and mix at 30-40:1, even 50:1, those jet specs should be real close. I'd be looking for carb problems, not jetting. You sure that choke is OK now...?

mikesmith

Ignition Specs
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 06:52:58 PM »
I dont think the chokes a problem now or it wouldnt clean out at wide open,itd load up.