Author Topic: paint removal on cases  (Read 3908 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
paint removal on cases
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:16:15 AM »
is it safe to use paint remover on the cases and barrel? 86's have black cases and i want to polish mine, but dont want to ruin them in the process. i am referring to normal household paint remover, not super duper industrial strength tackle. thanks...
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: paint removal on cases
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:27:02 AM »
My 87 500 had engine painted black. I used a paint stripper from an auto parts store to get the paint off the cases. I had to sand blast the cylinder to remove the paint from it and the head. No ill effects.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:01 AM »
aircraft remover will take most anything off.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:08:35 AM »
What works great is aerosol gasket remover.  I strippped some painted triple clamps and it worked amazing. You have to be careful of some strippers as it oxidizes the aluminum and turns the cases black. Cam.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:51:54 AM »
nice one boys :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 05:07:10 AM »
got the stuff i need, gonna start cleaning then polishing the cases.this should be fun........ :x

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:27:41 PM »
WHO'S F?$%^IN IDEA WAS THIS!!! :evil:

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:01:38 AM »
K-Man,
  It would appear you got all the large easily cleaned areas and are having a bit of trouble wth the numerous nooks and crannies...now you prbably have a half cleaned cyl & cases and are fit to be tied...
  Is this a close assesment? 
  Cheers  :-D
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:06:51 AM »
yeah, but its only cause i cant find the fluted cleaning/polishing attachment at the minute, but other than that she aint scrubbin up bad to say she's 24. :-D

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 05:21:41 AM »
 Are you talking about Dremmel type bits?
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:33:24 AM »
yeah,or the same thing but drill size fitment.

Offline kx560

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 06:38:45 AM »
If the parts are off the best way that I have foung is a media blast cabinet with glass beads. Works so good that you might not even want to polish it. I have had bad luck with the polished parts because they always break first. Just my luck I guess.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
Since I've always used basket cases & cheap fixer-upers for my dragbikes our saying is "chrome dont bring it home" and you always gotta keep a little "lucky dirt" on the bike. Keep the filter clean and fuel in the tank. Glass beading the cases gives them a real nice satin finish we have a large cabinet set up for this- also good for cleaning up exhaust valves & clutch plates.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
my ultimate aim is when its finished its goin on the road.thats why im goin the polished route.theres a pic in the gallery of a 5 thats had cases and barell mirror polished and it looks the business.it belongs to 'eugene' if i remember correctly.im tryin to find it now.

Offline kx560

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »
There are some pics of my motor all polished up in the original 560 posts. If it only ran half as good as it looked.