Author Topic: First time out on the SM set-up. WOW - I'm in love!  (Read 6997 times)

Offline tha.steev.oh

First time out on the SM set-up. WOW - I'm in love!
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:40:39 AM »
Torched a few Aprilia SXV 5.5's and danced with a Husky SM 510 too. Check out some pics.

Offline slow600

Re: First time out on the SM set-up. WOW - I'm in love!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
looks like fun. are you running a stock front caliper? does your bike have any off-throttle urge issues on the track?

Offline tha.steev.oh

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 04:23:39 AM »
slow600:
Yeah, I was still running the stock set-up in those pics. I've since boiled them up and installing my new setup today actually. I'm running a 18mm Brembo radial master, Russell steel braided lines, and a 4-piston Brembo caliper. I'll post some pics when its buttoned up. I suggest upgrading your brakes if you're running the stockers. I didn't change it due to budget but it is a necessity if you are planning to push it.

-It took a while to get used to the closed-throttle power-stroke pulses/surges (especially mid-corner...). Totally normal and something you have to deal with. I think mine may be more pronounced because I'm running a flywheel weight too. The best thing to do is to hold a slight bit of "maintenance throttle" to keep it just above idle. Takes some practice but I don't notice any shuddering anymore. I'm keeping new big Huskies and KTM's off so I must be doing something right with the old dinosaur.

Keep smokin'!
steev.oh

Offline jonny500

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 05:15:06 AM »
the first photo, with the other orange/red bike,  aprilia? Looks like you are gona pass him. you look far more comfortable and lower/faster than him in the corner.

Offline tha.steev.oh

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »
Yeah, that's my buddy on his 2008 SXV 550. I made quick work of him several times that day. We were even on the straights and no-contest in the twists. He's still pissed a 20year-old design beat his state of the art Italian stallion :-D

Offline jonny500

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:14:09 AM »
so is it the bike or the rider lol. how would it be if you swaped bikes

Offline slow600

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »
got any pics of the new brake set up? i bought an axial mount brembo for mine but found out its too wide to use.

Offline tha.steev.oh

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:26 AM »
- I would beat him on his bike too (but I wouldn't tell him that).  :-D
- The brakes are still in progress. It looks like I have fitting issues with the caliper so it might take a bit to get pics.
- I made a thick steel bracket with rubber washers for the Brembo m/c's separate reservoir so that it doesn't completely shake off on those bars... Mounted it to the handguard support. Not sure if I like the idea of my tank sitting up high but don't have the choice.

slow600: too wide? is it hitting your spokes? If so, mine too. May laithe off the back of the caliper a bit...

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
dude sweet set up. i love hearing about two strokes smoking the new fangled fourstokes. its hilarious that all the R&D money that are dumped into that aprilla is trumped by that 20 year old design haha

Offline tha.steev.oh

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:00:15 AM »
- Oh, I love rubbing that in. He just mumbles something about a wonky TPS and I ask what side of the carb that's located...  :evil:
- My old girl gets a lot of attention at the track - I love it!

steev.oh

Offline franciskx

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
tha.steev.oh ,muy buenas las fotos,,pero la kx es mejor moto...?donde es ese circuito?

esto es en Cheste-valencia-espa?a

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:14:34 AM by franciskx »