Author Topic: KX 450 wheels on a KX 500  (Read 6258 times)

Offline alward25

KX 450 wheels on a KX 500
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »
Has anybody retrofitted KX 450 wheels to fit a KX 500? I found a little info on the rear but none on the front. Rear needs a 450 axle and the rotor is bigger. Any other info would be awesome. I was looking at this upgrade because of all the new wheels sets that are for the 450 not the 500. More wheels options, you know.
Thanks
"Let there be light"

Offline IcemanK5

Re: KX 450 wheels on a KX 500
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:32:17 PM »
Has anybody retrofitted KX 450 wheels to fit a KX 500? I found a little info on the rear but none on the front. Rear needs a 450 axle and the rotor is bigger. Any other info would be awesome. I was looking at this upgrade because of all the new wheels sets that are for the 450 not the 500. More wheels options, you know.
Thanks

I have a set of DNA-X 08 kx450f wheels on my 90 KX500.
I had to change the wheel bearing to fit the 90 KX. The front wheel rotor was the same so the rotor fit in the calip. the way it should.
The back wheel needed to have the rotor turned down so the rotor would in the calip.

Kurt 
The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:
Put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »
So the front was a direct bolt on? I thought the bolt pattern for the rotor is the same on the back as the 450. Could you just use the 500 rotor on the back that is smaller in diameter?
Thanks
"Let there be light"

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:26:05 AM »
So the front was a direct bolt on? I thought the bolt pattern for the rotor is the same on the back as the 450. Could you just use the 500 rotor on the back that is smaller in diameter?
Thanks

The rotor for the back wheel will not fit the bolt patteren for the new wheels.
But you can do what I did and hunt around for months and see if you can find one that will.
I got tired of checking all the rotors to see if I could fined one.
You can either cut the rotor down to size OR mod the rear calipra bracket that holds the calipra....make it adjustable....

Kurt
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:32:48 AM by IcemanK5 »
The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »
Thanks

Sorry I srewed up on one point:
You will need to buy the front rotor for the 08 KX450 so if fits the front wheel.
BUT the rotor and wheel will bolt right up to the forks and calipra. This of course is after you replace the bearings and make new wheel shims. 

But you can do what I did and hunt around for months and see if you can find one that will.
You can either cut the rotor down to size OR mod the rear calipra bracket that holds the calipra....make it adjustable....

Kurt
The Nature of Man:

Ca. is like a chicken:

Offline alward25

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »
Thanks

Sorry I srewed up on one point:
You will need to buy the front rotor for the 08 KX450 so if fits the front wheel.
BUT the rotor and wheel will bolt right up to the forks and calipra. This of course is after you replace the bearings and make new wheel shims. 

Kurt

Cool, So.....Almost a direct bolt in after you change everything. Thanks
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:32:55 PM »
Alex,
Yes you will need to buy everything for the wheels.
The 08 front rotor will bolt onto the bike with know problem.
It's the rear rotor you will have to mod. (rotor) to fit the brake calipra to the wheel.

I looked at excell but it would have cost almost double for there wheels and rotor's
Kurt
The Nature of Man:

Ca. is like a chicken:

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »
Alex,
Yes you will need to buy everything for the wheels.
The 08 front rotor will bolt onto the bike with know problem.
It's the rear rotor you will have to mod. (rotor) to fit the brake calipra to the wheel.

I looked at excell but it would have cost almost double for there wheels and rotor's
Kurt
Thanks Iceman!!!
"Let there be light"

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 02:35:13 AM »
Alex, when I say modd the back rotor I mean cut the rotor down to size so it will in fit the calipra. I took the rotor to a mach, shop and had it cut down to size.
You buy a 08 rotor for the wheel and bolt it on with know problem. But the rotor is to big around to fit in the calipra. You may also conceder modding the calipra bracket so that it will slid forward so the rotor will turn freely in the calipra.

Sorry I really suck on the PC.....I work with my hands better.

Kurt
The Nature of Man:

Ca. is like a chicken:

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:41:39 AM »
I was just looking for a new set of hubs for my 93 k5 I just got. Glad I found this thread. Thanks for the info guys.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline alward25

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »
The DNA wheels are a good deal but. The Warp 9 I think is better. DNA is about $500-$550 for a front and rear set. They do not have rotors or a sprocket. The Warp 9 set is about $750-$800 with rotors and sprocket. Rotors are $60-$100 each and a good sprocket is about $70. So, we could say you would spend another $270 on top of the $550 plus trying to mod the DNA KX 450 set to fit a KX 500. The Warp 9 are ready to go and have more color choices. So, after much deliberation, I think Warp 9 is a more economical way to go and they are pretty much the same quality as other economical sets.
"Let there be light"

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
I have to agree after everything I went threw to get mine on the bike.

Kurt
The Nature of Man:

Ca. is like a chicken: