Author Topic: Needsome thought's Fly wheel  (Read 5121 times)

Offline IcemanK5

Needsome thought's Fly wheel
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »
I have a 90 KX500.
The bike has a heavy fly wheel adpator bolted to it......let me exsplane.

You have a stock fly wheel with the bolt in the center. Then my bike has a weight bolted to the fly wheel. It screws on to the end of the remaining threads of the crank shaft and covers the end of the fly wheel face. Then they use allen threaded screw's to help lock it in place. You have to unscrew the allen's screws and unscrew the fly wheel weight to remove it leaving just the fly wheel itself. A pully puller works for the fly wheel, I got that, but ..........
How do you hold the crank so you can unscrew the added fly wheel weight,
the fly wheel weight does tighten up against the fly wheel??

Thanks Kurt
The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:
Put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.

Offline SCKawi500

Re: Needsome thought's Fly wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »
one way is to remove the spark plug, put some rope in the spark plug hole, then remove flywheel weight, I just so happen to have a chain wrench that fit around the weight.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
I had one of those, when I bought my bike. If I remember right, the hard part was holding the flywheel while turning the weight. I used a long straight screwdriver. I had to kinda jamb it between the frame and a spot on the flywheel. The frame spot was on  a joint on the frame directly under where you sit. I know its not the right way, but I only had to take it off twice before leaving it off. Hope that helps...

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
I had one of those, when I bought my bike. If I remember right, the hard part was holding the flywheel while turning the weight. I used a long straight screwdriver. I had to kinda jamb it between the frame and a spot on the flywheel. The frame spot was on  a joint on the frame directly under where you sit. I know its not the right way, but I only had to take it off twice before leaving it off. Hope that helps...

Wear safety glasses :P I've used the same method before and had the screwdriver break.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
I'm going to see if I can pick up a rubber band wrench that will hold the fly wheel. I then can install to bolts into the weight, hold the fly wheel and spin the weight off,,,,I hope.
Jaming the fly wheel or using a rope....I just don't know about that. Sounds like it could make more problems than I want.

Kurt 
The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
The rope wont hurt anything. That trick has been around for many many years. My 90 year old grandfather told me about that trick when I was a kid.

The screwdriver thing is a last resort. It works but it's dangerous at the same time.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:32 AM »
The rope wont hurt anything. That trick has been around for many many years. My 90 year old grandfather told me about that trick when I was a kid.

The screwdriver thing is a last resort. It works but it's dangerous at the same time.

Agreed Goat, sounds like a old school trick. May use it as a last resort. With all the new tool's we have today I'm sure I can come up with something that is a little easier on the parts.

Kurt
The Nature of Man:

Ca. is like a chicken:

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:44:35 AM »
If it is still in the bike, could you just put it in gear and have someone hold on the rear brake?

This would be the proper tool.

Offline tharden

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:25:42 AM »
SCKawi500 has the best method to hold the flywheel in place.  Just make sure not to have the piston too far down so the rope does not get into the ports.

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 07:29:50 AM »
Thanks guys. I used a strap wrench and was able to get it off.

Kurt
The Nature of Man:

Ca. is like a chicken:

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
 My personal favorate is a Vise-Grip chain clamp. If you don't have that an oil filter wrench works great also.  :-D
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
I'd either use a strap wrench or an oil filter wrench.  They both seem to work well, although you have already found a fix to your problem.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline kx5rider

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:53 PM »
I've tried locking the rear brake while wrenching the flywheel off with bad results, broke the caliper mount :x The rope trick is the key from what I've learned after my mishap!!!
braaaaaaaaap