Author Topic: sanding down my frame?  (Read 9508 times)

Offline CurtZX

Re: sanding down my frame?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »
I am in the same position as you!

what to do, what to do!

I am going to be getting my frame/subframe back from sandblasting/welding here within a few days and have to decide which route to take.  I want DURABLE frame, but the green powerdercoat is going to cost me an arm and a leg. 

I phoned my local paint place and they said they could mix me up a matched can of spray but it wont be very durable because they cant put hardener in it.

I am again thinking about just going to a black frame or silver frame powdercoated, and call it a day.

Decisions, Decisions, Money$, Money$

Why cant a guy win the lottery :mrgreen:

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »
 If you dont have the bucks right now for powdercoating, why not ask your powdercoater if he needs any work done?  I have repaired my powdercoaters entire families cars, built him stands and rotisseries in exchange for blasting and powder. He always needs things welded or built or repaired. The barter system is alive and well, but you have to ask and be willing to work.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 03:28:11 AM »
I just got my mine powdercoated and it looks amazing.  I went with black for the frame, subframe and hardware, and a metallic look for the swingarm. Couldn't  be happier with the results.   

The cost to sandblast and coat everything was $175.  I'm not sure how much the going rate on sandblasting and mixing and painting runs but this seemed like a deal to me.

Fitz

Offline drewh14

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »
I'm in the same boat. Winter rebuild. A friend of a friend has a sandblasting company, $30 for the frame and swingarm.

Another friend of a friend works for a powdercoater, $100 for the frame and subframe in a gloss black.

I'm in the process of assembling the bike now, and I'm thrilled how the powdercoat looks.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »
Sounds like powdercoating is going to be the route I'm gonna take.........You can send donations to the "I'm too broke to get my stuff powdercoated" foundation.   :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline CurtZX

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 08:37:09 AM »
If you dont have the bucks right now for powdercoating, why not ask your powdercoater if he needs any work done?  I have repaired my powdercoaters entire families cars, built him stands and rotisseries in exchange for blasting and powder. He always needs things welded or built or repaired. The barter system is alive and well, but you have to ask and be willing to work.
 John

I asked my powder coater if he needed any financial planning because I was too broke to pay him.....didn't go over very well :P  j/k j/k

Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures, something about a nice shiny new frame that makes everything seem so right.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »

I asked my powder coater if he needed any financial planning because I was too broke to pay him.....didn't go over very well :P  j/k j/k

Is that why they call you guys BROKERS?

Larry

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »
Roostdaddy had his frame powdercoated many years ago and it still looks great. He had it done with a kawi reen then finished off with clear for that extra tough coating.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline godswrath

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »
thats what happen to me when i bought my son a used kx60. thought him just take this off and next thing you know had it completely apart. i found a powder coater thats doing my frame,swingarm and handlebars for 100. why so low you ask well he takes care of fellow bikers so i got a real good discount. the sandblaster charged me 30 for blasting the frame. so i have the motor being completely rebuilt, the suspension is being redone so on and so forth. all started with a little simple turn of a screw.lol.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
OK here goes.....so my last post about this was back in Jan 2010....Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter" is under way again.  I just dropped off my frame, sub frame and swing arm at the powder coater.  I chose to go with Silverado Silver.  I will start posting pics once the build begins.  Doldguy is gonna freak out when he see's that its taken almost 2 years after the original tear down to start the build up.... :lol: :lol:  Wish me luck!
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
Wow. Has it been that long. Be sure to post alot of pics.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein