Author Topic: sanding down my frame?  (Read 9503 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
sanding down my frame?
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:00:34 PM »
I just finished a COMPLETE tear down on my 98 500.  Does anyone have any suggestions for stripping off the factory paint from the frame and swing arm that can be done in my garage.  Thinking of going from Kawi green to a 2004 silver.  I'd like to paint them at home and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a painting method other than powder coating.  If I am a complete idiot please feel free to tell me so :-D......
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Purpletj

Re: sanding down my frame?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
Im currently doing a resto project also. Mine has been sandblasted and painted. I will let you know how it works out.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
Thanks alot buddy.  I had an idea to use high temp caliper paint and MULITPLE coats of clear........
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
USMC,
 Sandblasting the the best way to go for stripping the OEM paint.  consider using a polyeurethane 2 part enamel car paint like IMRON.  It is usually sprayed but I have painted frames using a foam brush with phenominal results.  Cam.

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
I'm with you CAM!  That DUPONT IMRON is some TOUGH stuff and stays looking WET!
'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:03:10 AM »
powder coat is 100 bucks here for a frame. another 50 and they sandblast it for you. I tried painting and after an entire weekend of prep and paint, it was scratching-up every ride.  150 is so worth it, when you're considering durability. This price is for standard colors like black, white, silver, and a few others that I forget.

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:36 AM »
I agree with Hillclimb#42, sandblasting and powder coating is the best.

Keep in mind we are only building race bikes, not show pieces....so we still spray bomb frames.

Instead of sandblasting down to bare metal, we use spray on self-cleaning oven cleaner. The cleaner gets rid of grease, grime, dirt and loosens up the failed chips. Most importantly it takes the sheen/haze off the existing paint AND the frame is still 'primed' with the factory paint.

Mark

p.s. I can remember unloading a freshly sandblasted frame after a 30 minute drive home and getting faint rust streaks on my tee shirt.

for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 01:28:55 AM »
LOLL..........cool guys.  Thanks for all the info.  I started off the other day cleaning my air filter and I ended up with a "to the bare frame" tear down and a diassembled engine........It might have been easier to buy a new bike, oh wait, they don't make the KX500 anymore :cry:....... :lol:

Offline hillclimber147

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:19:46 AM »
Aircraft paint stripper works great on the swingarms. You can give it a light sanding afterwards to get a factory bike look.

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:03:32 AM »
That frame looks brand new as it sits, save yourself a lot of work and just put black plastic's on it.
Nitrous is like a hot chic with STD's , you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »
Aircraft paint stripper works great on the swingarms. You can give it a light sanding afterwards to get a factory bike look.
X2 on that, plus you can do the same with the sub-frame.  Unless you feel like sanding and polishing both of them to a mirror finish.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Rd

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 10:41:13 AM »
Be very careful spraying Imron.
http://www.bronkalla.com/upkeep/spray_imron.htm

I agree with MDW471. If you are not changing colors the factory paint is a good base.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
Sandblasting is so cheap here in Michigan, that hand sanding is hard to justify, the cost of sand paper and time wasted.  I own a pressure blaster, but still send my stuff out to have it done professionally. I only use my blaster when a spot is missed or for a late night fix. 
 Powder coating while costly, turns out so nice and is so easy to deal with, just pick out the color and pick up the great looking part. I own all the painting stuff, regulators, respirators etc, and I utilize powder as much as possible. My powdercoater preheats the parts in his oven before spraying the powder, it helps the powder flow into the corners and seems to eliminate the chipping other powder coaters complain about.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:23 PM »
I agree with you guys on powdercoating, as my K5 was done close to 10 years ago and still looks amazing.  I personally would do this any day over tradional paint (unless DOUGH906 would do a custom paint job like his for peanuts.)
But USMC states he "was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a painting method other than powder coating."
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »
Just finished pounding out the bearings from the swingarm pivot and shock pivot........and while I was at it I pounded out the steering head races...........THE INSANITY CONTINUES WITH PROJECT "I WAS ONLY GONNA CLEAN THE AIR FILTER"!!!....Now I gotta decide wether to powder coat, annodize, or home paint the frame, sub frame and swingarm....... :-o :-D