Author Topic: Broken Kick Start Bolt  (Read 6985 times)

Offline jasonmorash1

Broken Kick Start Bolt
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »
I looking to see what you guys have for recommendations. I bought a 93 a little while back and im rebuilding it. When i bought it the bolt that holds the kick starter in place had broken off. Also, there was no part of the bolt sticking out to put vice grips on or anything like that. It was more so in the rod. So I tried getting it out with a variety of easy-outs. Failed. On the the cheap easy outs ended up breaking off inside the hole i drilled to assist in getting the bolt out. So i tried drilling the easy out out and the drill bit broke off. I cant get any of it out now.

To sum up, in the kick start rod i have the broken bolt, a broken easy out and a broken drill bit all stuck in there lol

Im looking for the cheapest route possible.

Cheers
Jason

Offline Sapper

Re: Broken Kick Start Bolt
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
Truthfully, Ive had that happen a few times in many years and even using a drill press, the bits just flex too much. Now I just bite the bullet and find a kickstart shaft on ebay or just order a new one. The last one was on my sons 100 and it was about $36.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:45:59 AM »
Thats a tough one.  This is stretching it, but the shaft is quite large.  It may be possible to slowly drill out the whole mess to a larger size then tap the hole for a larger sized bolt.  You would need a bottoming type tap.  It doesn't even matter so much if the new hole is exactly centered since all the bolt does is hold the kickstart on.  I locktite and torque mine. The locktite holds it on and also keeps corrosion out of the threads so it won't gall on there.  Good luck. Cam.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
 Jason I have to give you an "A" for effort!  and an "A" for Honesty!
    Unfortunately the materials the parts that are left in the bolt hole are tough to get through, but not impossible.
 There are a few things you may consider,
   Are you in an area with machine shops.  You may make a few Phone calls and ask what it would cost for repair.
 There is a process that will actually burn out the drill bit and easy out, and then finnish the removal of the bolt.
 that may be worth persuing, or they may drill the whole mess out like Cam suggested.
   Click around the net to estimate a price for  a new or used replacement and gaskets.
      Good Luck,
   Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline bob larry

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:06:28 AM »
Get an easy out that is one size bigger.   Get a diamond tip drill bit for it and try again.
A little heat on the outside of the kick shaft would help too.

Put the bike up against a wall so you can push like a bull on the shaft.

2001 KX500

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
 Bring the kickstart shaft to a tool and die shop that has EDM or ELOX machines, they can burn right through that tap,drill and easyout, using a poco carbon electrode. It is best to find a retired guy who has connections within a shop, the retired guys usually like a challenge and dont mind wasting a half hour to conquer a challenge.
 Or you could just buy a new one for $71.19
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline sandman540

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
try a cobalt left handed jobber length drill bit. depending on what the root diameter of the threads are is what size bit you will use. also drill slowly with steady pressure. good luck

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
That sucks
 I would first try a  reverse cut drill bit and drill real slowit should turn it right out.

If that does'nt work what I do is hold a nut up to the broke off part with some plyers then Weld in the middle of the nut so that you weld the nut to the boken bolt. Then put a wrench on the nut and turn it out. The heat from welding seems to help this out too!

Offline jasonmorash1

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Im sick of fooling around with it. I think i may just take it out and see what theyll charge me at the shop. Ill decide from there what i should do.