Author Topic: Removing crankshaft bearings  (Read 2134 times)

Offline snoopjonnyjon

Removing crankshaft bearings
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
I split the cases on my KX500, as well as CurtZx's. Three of the four bearings pulled out of the cases, and are still on the crankshaft. The one that stayed in the cases was easy to remove. I'm not sure what is the best plan of attack to remove the other 3.

The two thoughts I have are:

1. Use a bearing separator of this style, to get between the crank half and the bearing. snug this down until it pulls the bearing enough to get a posi-lock puller in behind the bearing and then just pull it.

2. Rip apart the bearing cage, until I can get the balls to fall out, and then the outer race will fall off.... then I can get my posilock puller onto groove in the inner race.

Any other ideas? Since this happened 3/4 for me, this must be common when splitting engines.

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
Re: Removing crankshaft bearings
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
I would be interested in a better way also . I use the puller method that you have described but it doesn't always work so good. The last 2 500s I did actually gaulded to the snout and put big groves on the seal area of the crank. I have cut them off with a torch but its risky and hard not to nick the crank.
Check the crank end that the bearing came off. In my experience if the bearing stays in the case that end is usually worn.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
I've tried to do it in my garage, but with no luck. I've tried the freeze-n-heat method, but crank bearings are pressed REAL tight to the crank.  I always take my cranks to a dealer, throw them $20 and a dozen donuts, and they use a specialty crank bearing tool and yank the bearings in 15 min while I wait eating a donut.. :-D
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
Snoop,
My buddy at the shop showed me how to do it, BUT use with caution.

Tighten your bearing splitter to the bearing (it won't get behind the bearing yet) and take the persuader (Hammer) and smack the splitter 1 time, it should get behind the bearing now. Tighten the splitter some more & put in a press, & press the bearing off. Repeat for the other side.
Check the clearance in your cases, & I used the Tusk crank pulled tool with great success during re assembly.

Hope this helps.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

stewart

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
i have a bearing splitter that my dad cut the center to a sharp edge as you tighten it it lifts the bearing up off of the crank half ,,then i press it right off

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 02:11:35 AM »
I will give this a try next weekend.

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:20:02 AM »
It worked like a charm after I sharpened the edges on the bearing separator.