Author Topic: New Silencer  (Read 2918 times)

toddwunsch

New Silencer
« on: February 18, 2004, 07:34:11 PM »
I just installed the Zip-Ty KX-KIT with the Flow pipe and silencer.  I noticed that the stock silencer had a rubber boot that fit between the silencer and the pipe.  I couldn't get the old boot off of the stock silencer and no thanks to the wonderful installation instructions from Zip-Ty, I wasn't sure if that was necessary so I just fit the silencer right into the pipe without the rubber boot.  Is it necessary to have the boot there ?  It seems like it's just for sound dampening ?  I didn't start the bike yet because it's getting late....  Any thoughts ??

mikesmith

New Silencer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:42:35 PM »
Have you ever run your bike without a silencer?It ruins the sound waves, kills your power,same with exhaust leaks.I use high temp silicone on the joint and zip tie the boot on.Try silicone spray or WD on the boot,pry an edge up and work it in.

Rick

New Silencer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 04:07:11 AM »
Without the boot, your not only going to lose power, your going to spooge all over the inside of your side panel.  Seal it up tight.

Also, I wrote an in depth installation piece on the zipty kit, but can't sem to find it anymore.  Someone might have saved a copy and can repost.

Rick

toddwunsch

New Silencer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 06:20:33 AM »
Nope.  I haven't even started the bike yet since I installed the new silencer.  I'll get that *#$@ boot off one way or another and I'll take your advice on the silicone and zip ties.

Thanks Guys.

Rick

New Silencer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 07:26:57 AM »
Try squirting some WD40 between the boot and the muffler pipe to help loosen.  Then take a long screwdriver and wiggle between the two.  Be careful not to damage the boot.  Once off, make sure you clean the boot with some some type of solvent to ensure a good seal.

Good Luck.

Rick

Sharc

New Silencer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 07:29:46 AM »
Spooge sucks...! It's worth sealing it just for that. Use Hi-Temp silicone on the pipe/silencer joint too. Put a fat bead on, slide the silencer on, get your finger wet and smooth it out. Silicone wont stick to your finger if its wet....(Gotta be a nasty joke in there somewhere but I'm not touching it...)