Author Topic: kx500 final drive  (Read 5956 times)

Offline agraebner

kx500 final drive
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:19:04 AM »
Im hoping this gets a lot of info back that will be helpful to a lot of people.  In the current market there are TONS  of brands and models of chain.  I cant seem to find and good info reguarding quality and charecteristics.  Whats the best bang for the buck chain?  What chain lasts the longest?  What chain is most resistant to rust or water damage ect??  What chain would be the best to throw in your tool kit as a spare??( you know cheap but could save the day)  So far the bikes ive had all had new chains on them when I got them, most were some sort of value set with sprockets.  Whats everyones prefernece for sprockets.  What steel sprocket is the most durable?  What alloy is the best? Twin rings really worth it?   Please dont hesistate to throw any info you might have out here so that anyone looking to spend some of their tax refund get what they hoped for.  Thanks Aaron

Offline blueoval

Re: kx500 final drive
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:13:29 AM »
I am currently using an Orbit 520 O ring chain.  I currently have 14/48 gearing.  There is a very small amount of rub on the case, but it is minimal.  Only have 4 rides on it, so don't know how it is going to hold out. 
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline drewh14

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:37:25 AM »
I don't know much, but I do know I keep a spare chain. Ya just never know.

Western Powersports: $20
http://www.bikebandit.com/western-power-sports-520-standard-motorcycle-atv-chain?m=3853&t=1

Parts Unlimited: $20
http://www.bikebandit.com/parts-unlimited-520-standard-chain?m=3853&t=1

RK: $25
http://www.bikebandit.com/rk-m520-standard-chain?m=3853&t=1

Those are great spares. I'd go with the RK. But keep in mind they're so cheap because they don't even have Orings. So the key word there is spare.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I usually run steel sprockets. Isn't aluminum softer, and going to wear out quicker?

Offline blueoval

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:46:01 AM »
I run steel sprockets on the k5.  I don't think aluminum will last long on that bike.  Though steel is heavier and the rotational mass is increased, I doubt it would be noticed by the average rider. 
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 05:36:59 AM »
Hey check out the primary drive brand chains and sprockets from rockymountain. They are cheap in price but they last. I ran the 0-ring chain and steel sprockets on my 500 for a few seasons. I'm currently running primary drive chain and sprockets on my YZ250 for the last three years. great stuff.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline agraebner

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:50 AM »
I have a primary drive set on a yz125 and it hasnt stretched in a couple rides but thats still not much experiance yet.  the RK is pribably the best spare ive seen so far.  My riding take me hours to get to the trails i can ride at so i cant afford to have break downs and not get riding or it would be a wasted weekend.  I agree for the 500 steel seems to be the best option. I am hoping to get a mass of info here maybe comparing different brands of steel sprockets too.  I do know some alloy sprockets Ive seen in a days ride show wear and that just wont do for the cost.  Any one have an opinion on rethal r32  or moose FB chain.  I know I installed a custom made aluminum sprocket on my shadow and it was a 520 conversion with premium EK chain.  So far the smaller chain and sprockets have three times the miliage of the stock and still going strong and in wear indicator marks.  I have a cheaper model EK on my 500 now and it rusted worse than any chain ive had.  I had a non oring DID on my 94 yz250  and it stretched and stretched ...........  had to tension it twice a day almost every ride on a trail thats crazy

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 07:19:32 AM »
I have a primary drive set on a yz125 and it hasnt stretched in a couple rides but thats still not much experiance yet.  the RK is pribably the best spare ive seen so far.  My riding take me hours to get to the trails i can ride at so i cant afford to have break downs and not get riding or it would be a wasted weekend.  I agree for the 500 steel seems to be the best option. I am hoping to get a mass of info here maybe comparing different brands of steel sprockets too.  I do know some alloy sprockets Ive seen in a days ride show wear and that just wont do for the cost.  Any one have an opinion on rethal r32  or moose FB chain.  I know I installed a custom made aluminum sprocket on my shadow and it was a 520 conversion with premium EK chain.  So far the smaller chain and sprockets have three times the miliage of the stock and still going strong and in wear indicator marks.  I have a cheaper model EK on my 500 now and it rusted worse than any chain ive had.  I had a non oring DID on my 94 yz250  and it stretched and stretched ...........  had to tension it twice a day almost every ride on a trail thats crazy

Chains and sprockets take maintenance. Theres way to prevent the rusting from occuring. After cleaning the clain dry with compressed air if you can then spray it down with WD-40 (dis-places the mositure) then apply your chain lube.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline agraebner

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:27:26 AM »
when i bring the bikes home they get a good bath which includes cleaning the chain with a brush and cleaner followed by compressed air to dry then maxima synthetic chain lube.  The chain i have on the 500 now was on it for two rides then the bike torn down and took me a year to get everything needed to mechanically rebuild it.  so its just sat in my garage had the smae treatment as the other machines beside it.  Might just be a freak thing who knows on that one.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 07:38:46 AM »
I like the Tsubaki chains.  They are probably the best bang for your buck.  Check out the "REVIEWS" forum as Cam has done a couple of chain reviews.  Not wanting to spoil it for ya, but he likes the Tsubaki's too.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 07:52:35 AM »
I am running an RK 520GXW. I have never managed to get a rear tire that will last long enough to require the chain to be tensioned before replacing the tire. One year of riding nearly every weekend, and I cannot tell that it has worn at all. Still seems new. It has worn a slight groove into the case though, which I was quite disappointed to find. Has anyone had a failure caused by this?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »
I am running an RK 520GXW. I have never managed to get a rear tire that will last long enough to require the chain to be tensioned before replacing the tire. One year of riding nearly every weekend, and I cannot tell that it has worn at all. Still seems new. It has worn a slight groove into the case though, which I was quite disappointed to find. Has anyone had a failure caused by this?

I have not seen an issue caused by the wider 0-ring chains rubbing the cases. It seems that once it machines the material away your fine. Kxcam22 had made or machined the front sprocket spacers or something to shim out the front sprocket. Maybe he will post.

I found this picture in cams gallery.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:21:25 AM by hughes »
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline drewh14

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
+1 for Tsubaki Chains as the best bang for the buck

inexpensive, for such a high quality chain.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
I've gone through a LOT of chains in my past 24 years of racing, tried em' all and for the big hp abusive bikes, I prefer Sunstar steel sprockets, and my hands down favorite chain is the Regina ORN Gold. Adjust it once from initial stretch, and forget about it ! One TOUGH chain!  One true fact I've learned over the years is a cheap chain will quickly destroy your sprockets ! Take my advice, run a high quality o-ring X-ring whatever chain, and your sprocket life will double over a cheap chain !
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:59:20 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 01:44:30 AM »
I've never run one, but I hear great things about Sidewinder sprockets.  Has anyone else had experience with this company's products?  This was a great topic to post.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 02:16:41 AM »
I read a bunch of bad stuff on thumpertalk about poor quality sidewinder chains and lack of customer support.  I have no first hand experience.  I am a Tsubaki fan - it lasted 12 years on the KX500 (single track riding) and then I put it on my new 450.  I made a bad move a replaced it with a non-tsubaki chain as an experiment.  The EK is  ok but sure rusts for being a nicley plated chain. The Tsubaki never rusted...ever.  I also used steel sprockets on the K5.  Some of the steel are not that much heavier that cheap aluminum.  The best idea is the twin-ring type, best of both worlds.  I don't like to adjust my chain so I buy the best I can find. Cam.