Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing Retainer Clip  (Read 1851 times)

Offline drewh14

Rear Wheel Bearing Retainer Clip
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »
Hey all.

I'm (trying) to change the rear wheel bearings. I got the side with double bearings out, no problem. Spacer too.

What I can't figure out is what to do on the other side. It looks like a circlip but I can't see a place to grab it. Service manual doesn't even make mention of it.

Problably a simple solution but I'm stumped! Thanks!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Retainer Clip
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:10:46 PM »
Yeah, there's a clip. Easy, if you use two little flat screwdrivers. Its a little bit of a pain to get ahold of it to get it started. Use one driver at the split, then the other to back it up and gain some more on the clip. Work it around. Only hit on the outer race when putting them back in. I use a big socket. hitting the inner race can ruin a new one. Its also easier to freeze the bearring first. That makes it a little smaller.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
Its also easier to freeze the bearring first. That makes it a little smaller.

As does heating up the hub with propane. The bearings at that point will just tap in with minimal force. I do the freeze-n-heat method will all bearings, and it saves so much abuse on the bearings and seals.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline drewh14

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:49:17 AM »
Thanks for the tips. Got the clip out. Grease was packed into the circlips holes, kind of hiding them. A bit of heat and the bearing just drop out.