Author Topic: Anyone watching the Dakar Rally - Jonah Street (USA) in 7th place  (Read 2783 times)

Offline DHregdovic

Not sure how many know about the yearly Dakar Rally as it doesn't get a lot of American coverage. I was lucky enough to ride with Jonah a few times when I was in Central Washington. He a great guy and an awesome rider - very humble guy too. 5500 miles in 14 days would be an awesome feat. Race is in Argentina and Chile. Robby Gordon from Nascar is running 10th place in his Hummer H3 too. Anyone interested can check it out at www.dakar.com - Versus also has daily updates too.

Go Jonah!!!

Motorrad

Re: Anyone watching the Dakar Rally - Jonah Street (USA) in 7th place
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »
Been following it for well over 10 years now. 
The Dakar is part influance why I bought my new 2002 ktm 640 adventure. 

Offline DHregdovic

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
Nice bike!!! I just hate the way the Dakar Rally and other events are really pushing 450's now. There are alot of big bores out there that are very good but will never get their marketing potential. Looks like they may go the way of the 2-strokes  :-( :-( :-(

Offline Rd

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »
Nice bike!!! I just hate the way the Dakar Rally and other events are really pushing 450's now. There are alot of big bores out there that are very good but will never get their marketing potential. Looks like they may go the way of the 2-strokes

I agree 100%. There is a 450 in my garage and I love it, but come on we need too see the big bore fire breathers at Dakar

Offline dsrtrider

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »
versus channel is airing it each day.  i have been followong it.  its fun race to watch.  they have a dakar webpage also.
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:41:09 AM »
I watch Dakkar alot, Robbie Gorden is populer here in Holland!! There are a lot of Dutch trucks in the Dakkar!!!
I would like to do the dakkar on a Kx500 like Team green rode the BAJA1000. Fuell would be the problem I think.
Your only allouwed to refuell on "dakkar"tank  points. If I won a lottery I ride it on a k5 or even maybe a ktm.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline blueoval

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 05:01:39 AM »
I recently sold my HANS on ebay to a guy in Holland who is in the Dakar Rally this year.  The money went toward the purchase of my 2000 KX500!
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:50:54 AM »
I recently sold my HANS on ebay to a guy in Holland who is in the Dakar Rally this year.  The money went toward the purchase of my 2000 KX500!

Do you remember his name maybe?? Purhaps I can tell I he's still in the race :-D :-D :-D

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline DHregdovic

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
That's awesome that your were able to help out a competitor in the rally. Not to mention all goes around when you were able to purchase a K5 from it... The world can be so small sometimes. Looks like the Rally on the bikes is pretty set in place unless someone has a problem. Jonah running in 7th overall still (a very solid race for him). The several times I would ride with him he was on his old stable horse - the XR650R. I love those bikes and can't believe Honda quit making them. They dont have the amazing rip of the K5 but man the low end grunt and you can ride them at speed forever while being pretty smooth.