Author Topic: 95 Rebuild  (Read 11289 times)

Offline flyingfitz

Re: 95 Rebuild
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »
First Ride Today!!

Took the bike out for some proving runs today.  At first it ws a bust.  Pipe packing went arai and partially plugged the silencer.  Found the problem, put the silencer back on without the packing and went riding. 

The compression release works great.  The only issue is it tends to pop out sometimes even if the bike doesnt start.  Overall a great improvement. 

The Stewart motor runs smooth and pulls hard.  Still dialing the carb in but it is great for a first day. 

The rev-loc is really cool.  It is totally different riding but it has major advantages in the woods.  I find myself over riding the rev loc sometimes unnecessarily. I kind of forget its there and will need some time to re-program my left hand after 37 years of riding with a clutch! I like the idea of the override if for nothing else than a stuck throttle.  Without the override a stuck throttle could land you in a world of hurt really fast.  It also allows you to keep the bike cleaned out without having it in neutral.  After I get some more riding time I might try adjusting it so it engages at a lower rpm.  Traction can be metered with the throttle really well.  I say with the throttle but I suspect that the clutch is doing its thing below the surface especially at low speeds.  In any case, the technique to riding is different but very effective.  While on a practice hill, I kind of fell into a pattern of working the throttle in short stabs to keep the rpm up a little and the tire hooked up.  Kind of like jockeying a standard clutch for control, only with the other hand????

Overall I am really excited about this bike.  I will continue to dial things in over the coming weeks.  I will post pictures when the new plastic arrives!

Thanks to all who contribute knowledge to this site. Dave for administering it. Stewart for building the motor.  Lytle Racing Group for all the help on the bearings and chain/sprocket. Mike for advice and help on the fork issues. Travis for the awesome powdercoating.  Most of all my riding bud Ryan for being there for the whole process start to finish. 

Fitz

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 02:51:49 AM »
Fitz,
Glad to see the project finished & you had a chance to appreciate all of your work (& $$) invested. Revloc sounds like the ticket for woods / trail riding. Think your compression release will work even better with more time on the motor as mine would do the same if it just farted but didn't start, but has gotten better with the little time that's on the fresh motor.

Keep us posted on your next rides & post some pics of the Big Smile!

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »
Slowly but surely the plan is coming together!  Tank and shroud graphics next.

Fitz

Offline IceRacer

• If You Dont Crash Your Not Trying Hard Enough
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/10milkshake01?feature=mhw4
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
man your bikes is ganna be sweet. cant wait to see the finished product!  :-D
Ride Motorcycles and Go Hunting!

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 08:34:47 AM »
A couple more.  Some detail on the frame guard mod to make the kickstand fit.

Fitz

Motorrad

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »
Okay I need one of those fender stickers.... Where do I get one?

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »
I talked him out of them when I dropped the motor off at his shop.  He was very reluctant to give them up.  I didn't get the sticker until the motor came in the mail.  It looks to be a decal works product.  I think the guys who built the record bike had them made when they did the cardboard robot graphics.  If you are into bootlegging you could probably order some from decal works.

Fitz
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:39:05 PM by flyingfitz »

Offline Swe_K5_89

• >> KX500 -89 <<
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 07:53:04 AM »
Looks nice! 737? Race number, or?
1989 KX500
1981 YZ465

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »
Thanks.  No race number.  I'm a recreational rider.  I drive a 737 at work.

Fitz

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
X's 2 on the great looks!
  You did a great job, hope she gives you years of service.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"