Author Topic: Big Bars? tripple tree options?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline z50guru

Big Bars? tripple tree options?
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
Hey everyone, new guy here. A little about me in the "introductions thread".
My question concerns solid mounting my fat bars on stock triple trees?
The rubber bushings are shot and provide way to much flex. Does anyone know a company that still offers an aftermarket upper tree for the KX 500? Are there any for the 250 that will interchange? My bikes a 99. Also i wondered if anyone made polyurathane bushings as replacements? I have adapter / risers now which only add to the flexing. Im not concerned with vibration issues as this will be a climbing bike ridden in short bursts. But im concerned more with strength and bar height. Thx for any help  :-D
>>>> Point >>>> Twist >>>> Climb >>>> Conquer >>>> Repeat >>>>

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Big Bars? tripple tree options?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
I have Pro Tapers on my 500. They are solid mount, which kinda sucks. Its an upper clamp for a 250. They are available as SUPER STOCK, forget the mfg. The stem is smaller on the 500 so you have to make a thin bushing to take up space in the clamp. Its safe though, because its trapped in there. I actually have considered going back to stock since it is noticably different than the rubber mount, non-vibrating, 250 that I also ride.

Offline z50guru

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback #42.. Much appreciated  :wink:.  If you no longer have your stock uppers, i'd gladly trade you my factory unit..  The bushings are soft for the 50mm risers/ adapters for my fat tapers. i bought the bike w/ them, and have no 7/8 bars at stock bar height to see whether the flex is exessive.. I can provide pics if you think about swapping?  Thx again!  :-D

Offline z50guru

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:59:39 PM »
like to get a new kicker.. Any sources other then Kawi?  :?

Offline z50guru

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »
Ok, heres a better perspective:  lol, yes i brought the bike home this way. :-D. Now, can you imagine the bar flex im look'n at?? heheh

Offline z50guru

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Climber#42, your awesome! thx for your reply.. I have considered shorter adapters as a last resort, just cuz im trying to keep my bar height as low as possible. Check these out? Price seems right, and it appears maintain a factory height w/ fat bars..  :-D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290372591185&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT