Author Topic: 92 kx500 not sparking  (Read 2558 times)

Offline joeyd

92 kx500 not sparking
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »
ok i got this bike a year ago and i have had few problems with it nothing major or anything but last time i rode it my exhaust blew out i mean the welds on the exhaust pipe blew out and that was the last time i started it, i got a new exhaust and i put it on, then i went to kick start it and it will not fire, at first i thought k plug fouled out i didnt have a new one handy so i pulled it out and it was pretty clean so i took a wire brush to it just to clean it up a lil bit more. i then thought k problem solved went to kick it again after bout 10 minutes of trying no luck i then had my dad get a light tester and put it on the plug wire its self we couldnt get a good connection so i talked him into putting his finger inside the plug wire  :-D i kicked it again turns out still no spark!!  :? ok so i think that it might be the plug wire its self what im wondering is that if i get a new one and put it on and it still has no spark what do you guys think that problem could be?? any advice is good thank you for taking a look and trying to help me out!

Offline IcemanK5

Re: 92 kx500 not sparking
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:52:56 AM »
I would try disconnecting the eng. kill switch and see if there is spark.
Also clean all the connections to and from the coil and IC box.
You might want to check the stator/ meg. on the bike.

As you do your repairs keep having your dad check for spark with his finger......I'd pay to see that!! :-o

Kurt
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:07:52 AM by IcemanK5 »
The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:
Put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:22:39 AM »
ok i got this bike a year ago and i have had few problems with it nothing major or anything but last time i rode it my exhaust blew out i mean the welds on the exhaust pipe blew out and that was the last time i started it, i got a new exhaust and i put it on, then i went to kick start it and it will not fire, at first i thought k plug fouled out i didnt have a new one handy so i pulled it out and it was pretty clean so i took a wire brush to it just to clean it up a lil bit more. i then thought k problem solved went to kick it again after bout 10 minutes of trying no luck i then had my dad get a light tester and put it on the plug wire its self we couldnt get a good connection so i talked him into putting his finger inside the plug wire  :-D i kicked it again turns out still no spark!!  :? ok so i think that it might be the plug wire its self what im wondering is that if i get a new one and put it on and it still has no spark what do you guys think that problem could be?? any advice is good thank you for taking a look and trying to help me out!

There is a simple Ohm test for the igniter, and the external coil. If these both test good, you have a bad CDI.  (unplug the kill switch as well to rule out a grounding kill button as well)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »

As you do your repairs keep having your dad check for spark with his finger......I'd pay to see that!! :-o

Kurt

I would as well... :-D :-D
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
I read that you're supposed to use a plug in the boot to check for spark. Without the right resistance it may harm the cdi. Ground the electrode to something. Kicking with no plug in the head helps spin it faster. At night is the sure test, so you can see it easy in the gap,and so your ol'man doesn't have to be the guniea pig.  A new plug is needed alot. Cleaning a fouled plug has never worked for me. Maybe its just my luck. Clean and inspect ground wires and where they mount, too.

What blew up the exhaust? Maybe when it quit firing it loaded up and backfired on its last breath? :evil: BOOM!!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:31:51 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »
Have you checked the flywheel key?  This is the first thing I'd check after all of your connections.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
Now that you mention it roost, mine backfired big time when it sheered the key. It also blew the reeds into pieces when it gave out. Thats a good possibility.