Author Topic: Pro Tapers Rock!  (Read 3968 times)

Offline matzilla

Pro Tapers Rock!
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:37:11 AM »
I was noticing recently that my hands were being vibrated right to sleep when riding in the neighbor's field.  Decided to go get a set of the Pro Taper bars.  Got the CR High bend with the replacement mounts for rubber mounting.  I didn't want to stack an adapter on top of my stock mount.  The instructions for the new mount said to tighten the mounting bolts to 27 pounds.  When I removed the old mounts I noticed the stock mounting bolts were nowhere near this torque.  The rubber cones looked to be in great shape so I reused them.  The new bars look sweet on there!  I love the feel, and no more vibration!  Next I want to do that CR clutch perch and lever.

Offline blueoval

Re: Pro Tapers Rock!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:40:25 AM »
I run the same bars with the same bend.  They are great.  Still a little vibration though.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:25:21 AM »
I run pro taper 1 1/8 bars and will never use anything else. The key to the big bars is the flex they offer. Is yours the 1  1/8 bars? I can't view your pictures for some reason.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline matzilla

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »
Yep.  They are the 1 1/8

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:28:40 AM »
matzilla,
I run the Pro Tapers also.  I changed to the 2008 Honda CRF450R front brake master cylinder so the hose would clear the hand guard frame. I did not change the clutch perch.  Why do you want to change the clutch perch?
KX 500 Rider

Offline matzilla

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 10:59:33 AM »
I thought it was part of the whole CR thing.  I am looking at the ASV levers.  Maybe the C5 Pro.

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
cr perch and lever have a better ratio, easier clutch pull.

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
And if you ever worrie about how strong they are? I have met two people in my life who have came up short on a big jump and broken both wrists and didn't bend the bars.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:55:54 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 03:13:11 PM »
So if I get this correct,  from the pivot point to where the cable hooks into the lever is a longer distance?  Giving more leverage?  I have a 97 CR500 and a 98 CR500AF, 250 chassis.  I'll have to take a look.  I do feel the CR's have an easy clutch pull over the KX but thought it was lighter springs because of less horse power.

I use the ASV C5 Pro levers.  Quote copied from another post.
I'm also a big fan of AVS clutch and brake levers.
http://www.asvinventions.com/levers_order/C5_Series_Levers/CLM03_off_road_c5.html 
I installed the C/5 Series Pro Model Clutch/Perch and the C/5 front brake lever.  I bought the "Shorty" version to avoid any fitment issues.  You don't have to cut the end off the lever to fit with the hand guards or move the perch in, on the handle bar. I like how they are adjustable for big or small hands. 
  I called ASV to talk about using ASV Honda parts on a Kawasaki and Karen fixed me up with all the correct part numbers.  She also told me if I buy from ASV it would be list price.  One of those "Can't undercut my suppliers" things.  She suggested one of her suppliers that discounts her products.   
http://www.rcalracing.com/index.html
That saved me a few bucks.  ASV levers are very popular, they run back orders 3 to 4 weeks behind.
Every time they run a batch of levers Rick at R-CAL Racing is the first order filled, he's just across the street from ASV.
Give him a call and he will get them to you as fast as he can.
KX 500 Rider

Offline dmg

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Riding at Lucerne last week: Buddy launches his CR500 out from under him, it goes up 5 feet, lands on the back wheel, comes down on its side, and it bent the s**t out of his ProTapers. They didn't break, and the bike was rideable, but they were very bent from what I would call a fairly small crash. (For the record, last year, he cracked off his stock bars at Lucerne, so he is really hard on bars)

I have the ATV mids on mine right now. I am 6'1" and I needed the height. I like them so far.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »
Riding at Lucerne last week: Buddy launches his CR500 out from under him, it goes up 5 feet, lands on the back wheel, comes down on its side, and it bent the s**t out of his ProTapers. They didn't break, and the bike was rideable, but they were very bent from what I would call a fairly small crash. (For the record, last year, he cracked off his stock bars at Lucerne, so he is really hard on bars)

I have the ATV mids on mine right now. I am 6'1" and I needed the height. I like them so far.

Can you post a pictures of your bars on your bike? I need a higher bend myself and was thinking of the ATV bars but sure of how they would look/perform or what height to get. Thanks.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:31:56 AM »
I thought Pro Tapers were to be unbendable until we bent them three different times in one night . The only good thing was by the end of the night , I loosened them up rolled them up and they were almost perfect , haven't messed with them since.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline dmg

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:40:17 AM »
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6830.0.html

There are some pics of my bike in this thread. There is one specifically of the bars.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:38 AM »
All bars bend if your crash hard enough. The Pro Taper 1 1/8 inch bars are desinged to not bend as easy and give you a better change of picking your bike up front a crash and have straight bars so you can finsh your race/ride.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com