Author Topic: Cables?  (Read 3164 times)

kawdude

Cables?
« on: February 15, 2004, 02:48:52 PM »
All, I'm in need of new throttle cable and I'm wondering what you all recommend?  I've heard horror stories about aftermarket cables that don't fit and cause problems.  Thanks in advance!

NastyNick

Cables?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 04:37:47 PM »
I picked up a motion pro cable for mine.  Would have worked just fine, except I also replaced my cracked throttle with a motion pro.  Guess what?  They don't fricken work together!  whoohoo!!  My dealer (since I am not good at cable fixing) cut the ends off the cable and fixed it up real good for me.

Try the motion pro.  It should work.

kawdude

Pre-setup
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:25:14 PM »
Any pre-setup need to be done to the cable?  How about tension.  Currently there's adjusters at both ends.  Is there a difference on where you adjust the slack?

Rick

Cables?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 02:58:12 AM »
I use only stock cables.  

On the throttle, the key is to eliminate the throttle play so you are sure to take full advantage of the power at full throttle.  To adjust, losen the adjuster nut (with motor off) at the throttle housing, and gently feel the play as you turn the throttle off idle.  Adjust the cable so there is not any initial play, and then retighten the nut.  

I check throttle play before every race, but this doesn't require adjustment very often.

Rick

NastyNick

Cables?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 04:30:47 AM »
I was always told that you should have 1/8" or so of free play in the throttle.

mikesmith

Cables?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »
Ill run a little free play also,and try the new cable on a stand with the engine running by turning your bars back and forth while holding a steady idle/low RPM to make sure the cable doesnt pull tight and raise the engine speed.You dont want to find your cables hanging up and your bike runs wide open as your turning with the throttle off!

Rick

Cables?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:30:52 AM »
Nope, I want the thottle to have zero freeplay.  Also, I cut a couple of coils off the slid spring to reduce a little resistance.  Since I have to hold the throttle open for long periods, every little bit helps.

Rick