Author Topic: Hydraulic Clutch  (Read 18274 times)

Offline blueoval

Hydraulic Clutch
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:04:17 AM »
I did a search and it seems it's been awhile since the topic of the Hydraulic clutch has been talked about.  Just curious after some time how people who are using the hydraulic clutch system on the K5 still like it, don't like it, problems with it, etc.  Did 90 miles of single track last weekend and wore a blister and still have a pain at the end of my middle finger.  Wanted to revisit this topic.   
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Hydraulic Clutch
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
I have went through two complete systems and now going back to a cable. I'll start by saying a teammate with a cr500 has had his for years with no issues whatsoever. On mine, i melted the plastic line in about the first ten minutes. Then went to the braided line. Also had to make a bushing to take up some slack from the slave cylinder. The space between the cable holder and the clutch arm, must vary or something. I have had trouble with them leaking with every squeeze of the lever at the bottom slave cylinder, then recently used teflon tape on the threads, but it now pumps up pressure, to the point I can't squeeze it. I also had trouble with it completely disengaging the transmission. I could put in gear alright, but once rolling, I could pull the clutch in and keep going. A little nerve racking when getting ready to race it.

I have one for sale. :-D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:04:07 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline blueoval

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
HC42, thank you for the feedback.  It's that kind of honest information that helps me and everyone make a good informed decision when laying down hard cash.  I don't mind spending money on items that work and are reliable. 
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
If Your cable is good and lubed right and you have a new lever with bushing or ballbearing pluss a new lever pivot bolt( that part is very important), You will be surprised how easy your lever will pull. If you use a lever with bushing don't forget a little dab of high pressure greese on the pivot bolt.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »
B.O.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,5083.0.html

I really like his setup, & this is from the KTMs which are flawless. You can also lengthen your arm on the motor but it takes away some of the "feel".

DoldGuy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:02:41 AM by DoldGuy »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kx5rider

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »
Had a magura and went back to cable, for supermoto I lost "feel" of where my clutch was and on a supermoto on corner entrance that didn't feel right. I also broke the nipple that goes into the arm but magura stood behind it and sent me a brand new one that never got put back on.
Lookin to buy one? :evil:
braaaaaaaaap

Offline dsrtrider

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »
i bought a magura and rode it in desert and really liked it.  no problems.
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

Offline bob larry

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:06:12 AM »
There is one or two left on clearance at bikebandit.com  for $259

Busted my middle finger all up and now it is a bitch to pull the clutch after an hour or so.
Even worse in this cold weather.

Id like to know the best one to get myself ....

2001 KX500

Offline joker_fly

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
I bought a magura and it sucked leaks every where

There is a mod here some where that makes the cluth arm longer much better (I use it)

Offline moreccsthanlbs

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »
never had a problem with mine, i've had it for a few years now and love it. i do always carry a cable for back up, but have never needed it...yet :-D i've found that the pull isn't that much easier than the cable, but it stays consistent. it doesn't stiffen on ya after a long ride.

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »
Received the Magura Jack a couple days ago...  bought it new.  I am disappointed.  The bushing on the slave unit is completely different than a stock cable bushing.  In order for the bushing to be flush against the brackets, I would have had to grind a flat spot on the bottom of the bushing.  Also, the slave actuator rod didn't line up with the clutch lever on the engine.  Fortunately, I was able to return it for a refund.  Anyone try an ASV perch and lever? 
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »
I've had a Magura on my K5 for the last 4 years.   NO problems
'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 06:32:34 AM »
  Anyone try an ASV perch and lever? 

I use the ASV clutch perch and lever on my KX500AF.  I use a CRF450R Honda brake master cylinder and ASV lever.  The brake hose comes out of the back side of the Honda master cylinder and clears the Cycra hand guards.  I bought the shorty version for clearance on the hand guards.  They work great and I'm happy with them.
Pictures at the end of this post.  http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4784.0.html
KX 500 Rider

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
Here are some pics of the poor fit of the Magura setup for $239.00.  You can see the 1/4 inch gap between the Magura bushing and the case brackets.  Then look at the difference between the stock cable bushing and the Magura bushing.  I could have made it work, but I would have had to grind down the Magura bushing.  However, the actuator on the slave did not line up well with the clutch arm.  I decided to send it back.  IMO, it should bolt on easily for that much money.
Fear the government that fears your gun.