Author Topic: 86 kx500  (Read 8270 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: 86 kx500
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 06:43:46 AM »
its an animal, but on the other side, it's only as fast as you twist it. im afraid replacing the crank seals is an engine out and case split affair, and i would advise you to do the crankshaft bearings whilst your in there.also, check the sideplay on your conrod at the crank, cos if it needs a new rod,you might as well do that while your in there too.It'll cost a few quid, but you will have the piece of mind a fresh bottom end gives on a bike you haven't owned for long.Shout if your having any difficulties when you come to stripping her.you can check for main bearing wear by removing ignition cover and grabbing the flywheel and try to move it up anddown.if you can feel any movement, get new bearings.you dont want something as heavy as a crank rattling about at 9,000rpm.HTH.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline logans

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
hey guys this is what the old dinosour use to look like when i first bought it lol

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 05:22:08 PM »
 Hey Logan,
 That thing doesn't look all that bad to me.   A little TLC and some elbow grease. At least yours was put together.
    Mine came in four boxes, and Boy, my wife was M A D  :x :evil:...Oh well she got over it and I got it running!  :lol:
 Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
if you think your other half was mad, imagine my other halfs 'elation' to find me in the middle of the kitchen floor sunk to the nuts in 500 motor.'not amused' doesn't cover it..... :evil:
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 12:56:31 AM »
 Oy!  Brotha I think Our maker put us on opposite sides of the big pond for good reason...any closer and we would probably get into too much trouble.
  Lead Me Not Into TempTation....I Can Find it MYSELF!!!..

me in the middle of the kitchen floor sunk to the nuts in 500 motor
           I guess I won't tell you what a good job the dishwasher does on cleaning up those engine parts when you're too cheap to take them to a radiator or transmission  shop to get boiled out / hot tanked!  :lol:
   Yuck\o/

I mean Tuck\o/

Offline logans

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 02:17:29 AM »
lol yeah i bet you all were in big trouble when the wife came in, but the dishwasher is a great idea, i am gonna have to remeber that next time. you guys get any of your wifes to ride with you?

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »
 I put My wife on my Daughter's 50... Large flat area, Bike still had the traininhg wheels on it.
   Auto clutch the whole 9...  She promptly ran into the only Rock (about 3ft. in Dia.) within easily 200 sq yards.
(my Daughter was 4, I didn't want her to have a bad time as this would probably be a deciding factor as to whom I would ride with after my boys moved on)
  Directly after running dead center of this small boulder, she stands up, turns around, turns the throttle open to the throttle stop and yells what's wrong with this thing... The boys are Yellin "MOMMa Let go! Let go of the Gas!!"
  What? What's wrong with this thing are you trying to Kill Me?!
    Well If I wasn't a church go'er... the thought has crossed my mind a time or two in the past 21 yrs...
But I digress...
   We get her straightened out and then she rides right into a telephone pole...THE ONLY TELEPHONE POLE... :x
   That's it. You're Done--- Do NOT Under any circumstances Touch any power equipment. No Motorcycles,
NO LawnMowers, Weedwhackers God Forbid my Chainsaws I don't even want you to use the Blender!..

So, No...If I can't get a riding buddy I have to plonk around on my own. Well, I do Always have My Co-Pilot... :-D
   Tuck\o/

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 04:40:47 AM »
Not long after I was discoverd in kitchen with engine in bits on 'her' kitchen table, our old delappidated shed started to leak water so I moved the whole darn thing(it was scrupiously clean!) into the kitchen for 3 months til I got round to sorting the shed.......
I can sleep with one eye open now..... :wink:

Offline logans

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »
hey guys i finally got my bike back and it runs like a raped ape. i love the bike, but the only problume i am having is that its extreamly hard to kick start and i am a 300lb guy i shouldnt have that much truble. but it fires right up when we pull start, could it have some thing with the magneto maybe a weak spark?

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
 Soory I missed this post Lo-
   What do you have for Jetting & Timing ?    KwakMan has an earlier bike and has helped several other guys, maybe we can drag him in on the case :-D   
I posted some specs for the electronics in my gallery if you want to Ohm out the coil and CDI.
   There is a bit of a ritual I use for starting big bore singles. 
(There is probably as many opinions on starting as there are on pre-mix and tranny oils.)
  Have a look through the "best way to start" thread.   I'll modify my post there to bring it a bit up to date, but see if there is something there you can use.
  I'm  5'8 and 240 and can get her lit, we should be able to get you going too.  I would love to get a compression release, as that has proven to be the ticket for the Bro's who had it done. 
However, "Those thrills cost money" as my old man would say...
  Tuck\o/   

Offline blueoval

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »
I am 5'7'' and only weigh about 180lb.  What gets to me is the numerous times that it must be restarted on an all day ride.  That sort of tuckers me out.  Compression release will be in the future, but all the extra bike dough is being used to save for a new bike at this time!   Ok, won't hijack - any further.  But, seriously, the bike if set up properly and "tuned" should not be too difficult to start.   
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »
Hi fella, welcome to  the finest KX5 information database in the whole world. I've got an 86 model too, which i have owned for 4 years now, so i know it inside out, have a good knowledge of the 86 parts that you cant get any more and which parts from the later models you can fit to get round it.Gizza shout if your stuck.K.thats good to know as im new to this site and just brought a nice 86 KX500,i know to ask lots of questions to lol,seems like a really good site,cheers Richard from NZ

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »
tidy that is for an old girl.hows the top end pull with that pipe? you can check mine out in the gallery(stripped for rebuild at minute). :x
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:36:28 AM by Roostmad1 »

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »
tidy that is for an old girl.hows the top end pull with that pipe? you can check mine out in the gallery(stripped for rebuild at minute). :x