Author Topic: Sticky petcock  (Read 3162 times)

kiro29

Sticky petcock
« on: February 15, 2004, 06:14:12 AM »
It's not sticky anymore,
I've disasembled it, clean it with carb cleaner spray from STP lubed it with WD40, and the most important I believe it's the spring which is to strong and forces the conical teflon part against the top of the petcock, try to crush the spring with a plier to make it softer and check the diference.
It's beautiful now.

Good rides

Miguel

mikesmith

Sticky petcock
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 07:21:54 AM »
If it sits unused that doesnt help,glad to hear you got it to work.

kawdude

Sticky petcock
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:22:32 PM »
I've got the same problem and I have not taken mine apart...yet.  Is there a way to set how heavy the spring pushes on this?  What made the difference, cleaning it or smashing the spring.  What's the spring in there for???  Do you need it?

kiro29

Sticky petcock
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 09:08:50 PM »
I dont know, this is a very small spring that's used to make some pressure inside to avoid any leak and to make the tap not to move around with vibration and the legs.
I crushed it all the way (2 - 3 mm), and cleaned it because it has a kind of aluminium dust in it, anyway what I think it made all the diference was to crush the spring, I didn't try to take the spring out but yes I think you need it.

Try it it works very well.

Miguel

Sharc

Sticky petcock
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 03:48:19 AM »
Cool idea. I have the same problem. Next time the tank is low I'll pull it apart.

Sharc

sdkx500

Sticky petcock
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 07:05:15 AM »
ohh.... one more point.  Dont drop the spring on the floor of the garage.  Its really fun to find and unfortunately my garage is not as neat and clean as Ricks.  :)

mikesmith

Sticky petcock
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 07:25:38 AM »
The only thing I see wrong with the idea the springs at fault is wouldnt the petcock be sticky from the day it was made?The spring wont get stronger with time,it would only get weaker.But if it works for you....

1alldave

Sticky petcock
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 06:32:17 PM »
I just put a Pingel billet petcock on my bike. I have not rode with it yet but the operation sure is clean. It flows way more fuel, thats for sure. My carb has been running out of fuel on long full throttle climbs, I hope that this is the cure. I will post when I know more...

kawdude

Sticky petcock
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 02:05:52 PM »
Who is the supplier of the Pingel product?