Author Topic: Leakin Head Gasket on Fresh Motor!!  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Watercross

Leakin Head Gasket on Fresh Motor!!
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
I got this 88 K5 motor/bike in Pieces, I rebuilt the motor compl. splitting the cases and replacing all seals, reeds etc. the cyl was Sleeved so I had it bored and honed. I assembled the motor and finally got it Fired, ran it for about 20 sec when I noticed Coolant leaking from all around the head gasket. I used a ATHENA Gasket Kit and there Head gasket, any advice would be great on what I should have done or should do to stop this. Wondering if anything I Listed below would help

1. Possible Warped Head or Cyl??

2.Crap Head gasket or should have used a sealant with??

3. Lap Cyl and use Cometic head Gasket

4. #3 with sealant??

Offline matzilla

Re: Leakin Head Gasket on Fresh Motor!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »
When we put my 88 together we used the kawasaki gasket, and have had no problems with it. Though we machined the head. Good luck with it.

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »
I would lap the cyl. and head and put the athena back on.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:28 AM »
I have not had a laminated gasket like the ones that are used on 86-88 not leak...ever. They all seen to seep a little. I just got a .010 dead soft copper gasket to try on my '88. I will let you know how it works.

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
 Cometic are great gaskets. I think I saw my guy spray something from an aerosol can on my copper head gasket to make it seal on an old 86 200. I don't think you can re-use a head gasket either, even though its real tempting since thats the last thing to do before fun time begins.

Offline Watercross

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
Thanks for all the quick replys guys! Im gonna Lap the head and Cyl and get a Cometic gasket. We use Copper coat spray gasket on are Stock class Race jetski's Stock Head gaskets, wonder if that could help?? Its leaking pretty darn good so I would assume something aint right?? The old Lady is mad she cant ride her bike on the ice so I gotta figure this out quick! :evil:

Offline kx5rider

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »
I had the same problem on my 94 kx500 supermoto with a la sleve big bore kit/sleeve and it drove me nuts. 1st I tried the copper gasket, machining the head and using copper spray...still leaked. Then I pulled the studs out off the cylinder and had it machined....nadda. I had 2 techs with combined 40 years experience try and help and it drove them crazy for 2 days. We probably had that top end tore down 10 times trying to fix it.
In the end they figured the sleeve wasn't put in just right and when the cylinder and sleeve heated up they expanded in a funky way causing the leak.
I had a stock bore sleeved cylinder laying around so I threw that in and it sealed up 1st time no issues....been running that jug since and everything is great.
Good luck, hope she gets on the ice soon!!!!
braaaaaaaaap

Offline Watercross

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »
I had the same problem on my 94 kx500 supermoto with a la sleve big bore kit/sleeve and it drove me nuts. 1st I tried the copper gasket, machining the head and using copper spray...still leaked. Then I pulled the studs out off the cylinder and had it machined....nadda. I had 2 techs with combined 40 years experience try and help and it drove them crazy for 2 days. We probably had that top end tore down 10 times trying to fix it.
In the end they figured the sleeve wasn't put in just right and when the cylinder and sleeve heated up they expanded in a funky way causing the leak.
I had a stock bore sleeved cylinder laying around so I threw that in and it sealed up 1st time no issues....been running that jug since and everything is great.
Good luck, hope she gets on the ice soon!!!!

My buddy I ride with had the same prob on his 96 K5, his seemed to happen once it was real warm and running for a bit the sleeve would move causing leaking and I think he blew it up a few times. My leaking happens as soon as it starts up and looks to be all the way around, my guess is its all in sealing it up properly. I hope its an easy fix and not a pain in the A$$ chasing this issue.  Thanks again for everyone's help, its great to have all the input from Fellow K5 riders!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:03:02 PM by Watercross »

Offline Watercross

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:07:25 PM »
How about those 2 dowls on the head/cyl, any sealant that should be around those or water passages??