Author Topic: Front Fork Pinch Bolts  (Read 2403 times)

Offline blueoval

Front Fork Pinch Bolts
« on: December 31, 2009, 05:44:04 AM »
Anyone put loctite on the fork tube pinch bolts?   thanks
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Front Fork Pinch Bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:42:51 AM »
I don't, & only 16 ft lbs on the upper & 14 on the lower.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:56:05 AM »

Antisieze  :-o
    I haven't had any slip yet, and like DeOldGuy, 15ft.lbs or so.    I stripped a few and  after having to helicoil , got a service manual for the specs on everything...'Cause "surely it can't only be 15 and 14 foot pounds"   Well yea, it can.   and also you don't want to squash the tube at the lower mount and muck up the innards :wink:
 And antiseize, or antiseize and grease mix on account the dissimilar metals.   Not Necessary, but what the heck...
Going over the bike once in a while checking for loose or broken fasteners doesn't really take that long after owning the bike a while, or during clean-up.
      Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
As a rule of thumb I use antisieze on all bolts that thread into aluminum and blue loctite on the ones that thread into steel.  Of course a few of the high vibration area bolts that thread into aluminum get the blue. It is a good winter project to prep your bike like that and the payoff is that you barely have to lay a wrench on it during the next season.  I never lost a bolt off the KX in the 14 seasons I rode it. Cam.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
I use grease on mine. The pinch bolts are plated steel or stainless. When threaded into aluminum one metal becomes an anode and the other a cathode. With an electrical path such as water, moisture and other contaminates corrosion begins and usually the sacrificial metal (aluminum) will corrode the worst destroying the threads. The other concern is one metal is much harder than the other and pulling and galling may occur. Corrosion and it's results are is pretty interesting once you understand what's going on. Lube the threads with antisieze or grease to help slow or prevent both of the above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:52:29 PM by kxpegger »
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline blueoval

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
Thanks for the information.  Really appreciate it!  ted
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
KXpegger is right. Grease works just as well.  Where I work there are jars of antisieze in every corner so I always have some on hand. I always forget that many won't have some around. Cam.