Author Topic: Oops The big k5 went down  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Just an old rider

Oops The big k5 went down
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:04:03 AM »
  Well had a good and bad day saturday ..   We just got back out of the shop the wifes kx 125
   I took it for a couple of spins up and down our road  (Semi Private)  it runs awsome .. and I added a couple of plastics to the 2002 kx ...    :evil:                     

Now for the bad news  :-(      I got anxious to take the k5 out and get on her  I let it warm up a little les than I usually do and she started smoking a little like she was loading up so I reved her up a little while to blow the smoke out ,,,,,   i then let it idle while i put my helmet on and chest protection  .. engaged the clutch went some 25 feet and she threw on the brakes and never barked again  :-o 
   the kick starter   is froze up so im sure she is dead and gone ... I would like some info on maybe what I did wrong ??? If anything  besides overreving  and also I will  be rebuilding her myself this time..  I am hoping it is just piston seized but that would be best case senario ... thanks alll  .. and Jfab.. I am going to be getting a hold of you for a piston   thanks ron

Offline DHregdovic

Re: Oops The big k5 went down
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:18:03 AM »
Are you positive you had mix fuel in it? Are you sure you shook the container to make sure the 2stroke oil was thoroughly mixed?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
Nice lookin bike, old rider. Looks awesome. My prediction is a cast piston crater'd. Doesn't sound like you do anything too different. You'll know once you see it, probably.

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »
What oil are you running? Castor 927 will separate from the gas when it gets cold. If you leave your bike parked with the gas turned on and it gets under 40 the oil separates from the gas filling the float bowl with oil. It will smoke like a big dog when started and then it will clear up leaving you with strait gas in the tank.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
Just so happens I am running castrol I thought it was a good oil...   I have noticed my fuel shut off valve does not totally shut down also and we have had several days with cold weather ,,,   :-o  I did not know it would do that .. Oh well I guess I am going to take her apart and order a pistion with a window in it  :roll:  I needed to try to rebuild a engine eventually ... last time i did it it was a enduro 175  in high school around 1978   thanks guys ...

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »
It is a good oil  :-D it's good at gumming up your power valves and blowing up your engine, smells great too. Also if that is what happened there's a good chance the bottom end is done also  :|.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:54:54 PM by BDI »

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
Thanks  :?   BDI   what oil do you recomend

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
I would rec maxxima K2 full sen or bellray H1r. They are ester based oils and as far as I can tell the very same thing in two different bottles.

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »
I've been using H1r for a couple years now, the power valve is cleaner then any thing else i have tried.

Offline blueoval

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 03:39:55 AM »
Any thoughts on Goldenspectra.  That's what I've been running lately.  ted
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline don46

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 04:30:44 AM »
Are you running Castor or Castrol, big difference. I think the Castrol is non synthetic, although I don't use it myself, I would think as a petroleum oil it would be less susceptable to seperation.

The kick starter is locked up, have you removed the ignition cover and tried to roll it backwards? No matter there is something wrong but it may be something wedged into the gears causing it to lock. I have seen the pin come out of the KIPS governor and wedge in gears locking it up.

anyway good luck
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline vaaprider

• He's Ready
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
It could be a combination of the two, the oil might have gone south, but it sounds like it could have cold seized (piston expanded before cylinder due to water jacket). Take spark plug out put it in gear and try to roll, you might get a glimps of piston through exhaust port also.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 04:40:10 AM »
OK   so I put it in reverse and backed it up a slip and she broke loose .... so it is piston and rings and she kicks over ok.. just no compression   thanks guys .... I still think I might replace crank bearings and my kick-starter has been acting up so I will need to go into case anyway ...  :lol: