Author Topic: Vapor  (Read 3973 times)

Offline matzilla

Vapor
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:53:57 AM »
Has anyone put the trail tech vapor on their k5? I put one on my x-mas list, and am wondering what mount anyone has tried. Thanks in advance.

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
Re: Vapor
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:21:48 AM »
Kinda expensive but I been planning to get one of these:    http://www.ptenduro.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/3
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 06:36:28 AM »
seismiccycles in cotati, ca have them for $89.99, they also have a ebay store

Offline matzilla

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
That mount is shown on a KTM.  Does anyone know if they make a mount like it for our beloved KX?  The website has no real info.  KTM mounts are like 90mm.  What is our mount bolt spacing?  100mm?

Offline matzilla

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
OK.  I measured it up.  With the Pro Taper mount installed, the mounting dimensions are 100mm by 40mm.  I talked to the guy at PT Enduro and he said he is making some now that are 100x40 and cut for the Pro Taper bars.  Same price as the one in the link.  I think Ill have it annodized black, and get the black vapor.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »
I have one on my dad's KLX, they are great. I build a custom mount for it.

Offline matzilla

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 01:17:15 AM »
Just got my new vapor all setup. Still waiting for my mount to arrive from pt enduro concepts. I am not sure though if I have to many wraps around my coil wire. The idle rpm numbers seem a bit high. What is typical rpm range? Normal idle?

Offline matzilla

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 02:52:10 AM »
Also, I wrote the wrong numbers in a previous post. The mount is 90mm by 40mm.

Offline drewh14

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »
When I installed mine, I had a high idle. In the setup, there are options for "Power Pulses Per Rotation" I believe. That determines fourstroke/twostroke sparking frequency.

I think the options are .5, 1, and 2. Play with those till your displayed RPM's make sense. I do remember tech support told me the wrong value, and I had to play with that option to make it right.

Offline matzilla

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 05:17:07 AM »
I set it at one initially, and it said around 6000 rpms at idle. So I set it to 2 and now it says about 3000 at a high idle. It just seems a bit high to me. Wanted to know if that was right or if I need to remove some windings from around my plug wire. 

Offline drewh14

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 05:21:39 AM »
I put whatever the manual said for windings (6?). Try the 0.5 setting. I do remember weird numbers like that. Watch the RPMs as you rev the bike. See what the peak RPMs are.

I don't think that the windings dictate what the vapor will think the RPMs are, just how good the signal is.

Offline matzilla

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:09 AM »
It said something in the instructions about too many wraps causing it to read one pulse as two. That if this happens either change the number to 2 or remove wraps one at a time until it reads right. I changed the number to 2 because I didn't want to take the tank back off. I'm sure it is probably right. When I rode it last night to test it out it said the max rpm was just over 10K. What is your idle rpm range? I am used to working on big ugly diesel engines and a 3K idle just sounds high to me. It may very well be normal, I just don't know. What do you think?

Offline matzilla

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
Ok. Got home from work today and tried it out in the daylight. Idles at less than 1900 rpm. Max rpm during my ride was 11390. I think it is all setup.

Offline drewh14

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27:15 AM »
sounds about right  :mrgreen:

now just remember to not take your eyes off the trails to look at your nice gauges!

Offline BDI

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »
I think I would rather have a GPS on my bike. You could put a sweet little GPS on the bars for around the same money ,I think  :-).
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!