Author Topic: Race Fuel  (Read 12344 times)

Offline trouble

Race Fuel
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:53:40 PM »
I live in Cincinnati and the elevation around the area is around 1000ft.  What I'm wanting to do is run straight race fuel in my k5.  Right now it runs great with a 168 main, 58 pilot and 3rd clip on the needle.  My previous bike had a pro circuit engine and would only run on race fuel.  When I first bought it I ran a tank of pump gas through it and every time I pulled in the clutch it wanted to run away because it was so lean.  Can someone give me some advise on the changes I should make to my jetting.  I'll be running 110 cam 2 and my bike has a DG pipe, pro circuit silencer, and pro series reeds.  I know leaner is meaner so I want to go as lean as I can.  I will do a plug check to see how it's running.  I would appreciate any help on this matter.  I'm sure there are others out there that have done the same thing so help me out guys.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Race Fuel
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
  Hey Trouble... :x
No pun intended! :-D
  Welcome to the club,
 I searched real quick and there was lot's of hits on race fuel, I didn't know where to start.
   There were more discussions about VP race fuel than any of the others I saw off hand.
 I'll look and see if the Cam II 110 has a VP equivalent. that might get a few more guys to jump in if they have something to compare it to.
  Tuck\o/

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:06:44 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 02:29:05 PM »
Trouble,
What type of head are you running? From the info gathered here I don't think you will see any benefits running 110 on a stock head. Our members JFAB in Missouri & Larry Wiechman in Illinois can set your head up to utilize the benefits of running the 110 & then you will see the performance gains with out detonation which kills power & a motor. Search the site for head mods to see what fits your need.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:07:41 PM »
  O.K.
 Now we're getting somewhere,
CAM 2 RACING GASOLINE

"Cam 2" is the generic name used for Sunoco Race Fuels. You can expect the same consistent high quality performance from Cam 2 Racing Gasoline that you get from Sunoco Race Fuels because the names are interchangeable. It is the same product, made in the same facility by the same people. We use this name wherever the "Sunoco" brand name cannot be used, such as gasoline outlets which carry a competing brand of street gasoline.  Cam 2 is available in 110, 112, and 116 octane leaded, and 100 and 104 unleaded.  Please refer to the specs and MSDS for the Sunoco fuels listed above.

So I'm guessing this is the cam II / Sunoco fuel you are refering to.
 SUNOCO STANDARD RACING GASOLINE

Sunoco?s all-purpose race fuel with a winning heritage. Whether you road race or bracket race, run the short ovals, or pilot a race boat or motorcycle, Sunoco Standard provides consistently high performance and helps protect engines with static compression ratios up to 14:1 against harmful detonation.
Fuel Property    

Typical Specifications
Specific Gravity    

Lbs./gal.    6.03
Pump Octane (R+M)/2    110
    RON, Research Octane    115
    MON, Motor Octane    105
Reid Vapor Pressure    8
Distillation, ?F    
Initial Boiling Point    90
10% Evaporation    160
50% Evaporation    220
90% Evaporation    260
Final Boiling Point    360
Leaded    Yes - off road use only
Color    Purple
Oxygen, Wt.%    None

Let's see what VP has as a comparison so the guys can give you an Idea what you'll need to
  do to the engine (As DoldGuy stated,) to utilize this fuel.

How about this?  Would this be somewhat close to the Sunoco/CamII
 you want to use?

SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR C-12
VP C12?
The best all around racing fuel made. Recommended for CRs below 15:1, satisfying the needs of 75% of today's race engines. One of the winningest fuels in racing history, including AMA, NHRA, Modified Tour, GNN, D.I.R.T. and Indy Lights, as well as other local and national championships across the U.S. and around the world. Very popular among Sportsman motorcycle drag racers requiring superior consistency.

(Typical Values) Specific Gravity: .717 @ 60F

Lead: Yes      Color: Green    Motor Octane: 108   Reid Vapor Pressure: 7.3

Oxidation Stability (min.) 1440+   

Distillation: 10% evap @131.0?F

50% evap @194.0?F

90% evap @228.0?F

E.P. @233.3?F

Production: Elmendorf, Texas USA

Availability: Sealed Drums

Rev: 07/00

Tuck\o/

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:31:01 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
I have said it before. Maybe about you, if not I should have. Friar, you are a plethora of information, a regular fountain of knowledge.

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
 JFab...
    Silly Rabbit...Trix are for Kids!!!
  I Know Nothing... You Remeber Shultz from Hogan's Heroes...
   De Gold Guy is the "Real Deal"
Now let's Brainstorm on what Trouble needs to spend...umm I mean build his engine to, so he can get his money's worth out of that race fuel... 8-)
  Tuck\o/ 

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:42:11 PM »
Race fuel does not make a bike run fast. Race fuel makes a fast bike run.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »
Race fuel does not make a bike run fast. Race fuel makes a fast bike run.

It makes it smell fast.   :-D :-P
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »
It would be closer to vp c12 than 113.   

113 is oxy fuel.
C12 has no oxy like the 110

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
 Thanks!
   I'll go back and Fix it.. :-D

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
I have said it before. Maybe about you, if not I should have. Friar, you are a plethora of information, a regular fountain of knowledge.

JFAB

As I have called him before "The Typing Encyclopedia".
We are lucky to have so many diverse talents here "Shared"
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:53:33 PM »
I run straight CAM II, and also run the optional thinner .2 MM head gasket. I jet down in the summer to as lean as a 162 main, and then adjust richer as colder temps move in... I still have a dark chocolate plug read, so I could probably even jet leaner, but I don't flirt with possible meltdown disaster. My 5 runs perfect and never had any symptoms of detonation. The great thing about running uncut race fuel is you get very precise plug reads. Like other commented, race fuel doesn't make hp, race fuel only prevents the possibility of detonation...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:55:24 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:03 AM »
For those that may not know.

Specific gravity (sg.)
and
oxygen content

Are the two major players in jetting change when you change fuels

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:02 AM »
  There you go Trouble,
 Polar B Not only runs the same fuel your looking at, But there are some great things tucked away
 in the other posts also.     
   I'm sure with a tad more info on what kind of riding your doing, and future engine/suspension mods, the guys can help you put together a plan that can significantly save you time and money
  in the long run.   
Oh yea, speaking of Money... how much (Ballpark) do you have to put in your engine package.   
I don't say this to be a kill joy.   This has a direct relationship on maintenance
 and how much priority is put on HP and or reliability.   
   Tuck\o/

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:55:34 AM »
high octane fuel is one small portion of the whole package of performance. i'll probably get posted to death for saying this but this is and will remain my opinion of race fuel."unless your engine is producing predetonation you do not NEED race fuel, although the performance may increase slightly". this being said, pump gas is getting to be of such poor quality that it evaporates much more quickly than it did 10 years ago. thats not because it is HOT either it is just terrible formulas currently. for average riding i mix race fuel 60-40 with premium pump gas. for high demand ie..sand riding i use 100% race fuel to wring out every ounce of hp the k5 can give. not very scientific i know, my experiences and humble opinion only.

MADDOGGY