Author Topic: Air Box Sealer???  (Read 2584 times)

Offline blueoval

Air Box Sealer???
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »
I am putting the K5 back together.  I took the air box off and all apart to completely clean it.  Does anyone put any kind of sealant between the air filter mount and the plastic box?  How about between the rubber boot and the plastic air box box?  I tighten the nuts and it seems to make a very good seal.  Hope you guys can understand what I am asking as I am probably not using the proper names for the parts.  B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Air Box Sealer???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
B.O.
I have used the 3M weather strip adhesive in the past on both sides with good success & will be doing the same on my next project as it has had some of the nuts removed from the boot side (why? I have no idea). Historicaly, the air boxes are good from the factory for many years (have heard of a few Hondas that needed attention brand new) but most just need a good cleaning on occasion.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:01:08 AM »
Whenever I have an airbox out, I remove the rubber intake passage from the airbox body and seal the mating flange with Prematex Ultra Black RTV. Great stuff, I use Ultra Black a lot on different applications..
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline blueoval

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I used weatherstrip adhesive.  ted
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:43:57 AM »
good call on the 3M weather strip adhesive that stuff will not let you down as long as you got a good coating on it.