Author Topic: How to remove powervalves  (Read 2438 times)

Offline vetrider

How to remove powervalves
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »
Hi guys I'm a fairly new member and I need everyones help on removing the powervalves from a used cylinder I purchased from ebay.  Here is what I have done so far.
1.  Removed the 2 bolts and the front plate from the front of the cylinder.
2.  Removed the valve guides the idler gear and its guide.
3.  Removed the screw and the 2 snap rings that hold the governor rod.
What I'm unable to remove are the valves (center, right, left) the governor rod and the governor rod guide.  Is there a order in how these parts are removed?  What come out first?  The governor rod or will the valves pull out first?  It seems to me that the governor rod should just slide out from the left side.  I've taped on the end of the governor rod but have had zero luck in getting the thing to move.  I'm afraid to continue to tap on the governor rod and mushroom the ends.  If the governor rod were shot I would give it a good whack but the gear teeth are in very good shape for a used cylinder. Anyone have any other ideas on how to remove the valves and the rod?  I have soaked the cylinder in various cleaners and degreasers to try and loosen all the parts but have not had much luck.  Any and all ideas are welcome.  Thanks

Vetrider

Offline DoldGuy

Re: How to remove powervalves
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »
Vetrider,
The barrel valves need to be lifted up towards the base of the cylinder for the gear rack rod to be removed & also for the center valve to be released. Check if your exhaust sub port bridges are cracked & pinching the barrel valves. Just removed mine & they were a bugger to remove, be patient & you will get them!
Hope this helps,
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 01:55:46 AM »
If they are carboned, the barrel valves are also a pain to lift out. I ran into a problem yesterday on a friend's bike. The barrel valve has a slight burr on the "ramp" that the center valve rides on. This prevents the valve from pulling all the way out. We could pull it out enough to get the rack and all the other components out. Any suggestions for how to remove this burred edge? It seems a bit awkward to get a file in, but maybe that is the only way.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:42:43 AM »
 Vetrider,
 I apologize for being a little late here,  This is a great write up made by a member a while ago that may help.
  http://www.hallbergs.net/kx500/
 Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline vetrider

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:49:59 AM »
Thanks for all the responses everyone.  The write up from hallbergs.net was very useful.  Thanks again.

Vetrider

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »
i posted about a simular problem a few months back. I ended up having to use a slide hammer to get the guides out first. they were destroyed, but only a few bucks to replace. Alittle too much carb cleaner helps with all the goo and hard carbon as well

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
   VetRider & All,

Any and all ideas are welcome.  Thanks 
I do remember reading about De-Carbonizing but have not tried this yet.
   The post said to soak the parts overnight in a bucket of plain old water....
 Like I said I haven't tried it yet, But it won't cost much and it works while you sleep!
    All kidding aside, the carbon is supposed to soften up enough to scrape/knock off without destroying the part.   
    Might be worth a try...
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"