Author Topic: Clutch lever elongation...  (Read 2962 times)

kawdude

Clutch lever elongation...
« on: February 07, 2004, 01:52:58 PM »
I've heard this mentioned several times but I need to ask the question.  How does one lengthen the lever for easier pulling?  Wouldn't lengthing the lever increase the lever throw???  How much do you lengthen it?

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 07:18:25 AM »
Remove the cable,turn the arm toward the sprocket side of the case and pull the arm out of the engine.Cut the arm in half where the cable attaches to in the center,weld in a 6-8mm section,reassemle.Gives it more leverage,didnt increase throw.

kawdude

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 07:21:14 AM »
But if you increase the length doesn't remove some of the clutch adjustability?

If the lever is longer is the cable long enough to fit?

mikesmith

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 07:36:35 AM »
Dont go over 8mm and you wont have a problem.As far as adjustment,I did mine a long time ago so I dont remember loosing adjustment, but I dont have a problem with adjustment from extending it and have gotten long life from my cluth.If I buy a new 500 Ill do it again.

kawdude

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 07:37:24 AM »
Excellent information thanks!

Rick

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 01:58:07 AM »
Leave the arm in place and opt for a quick adjust fly lever (about $100).  They use Honda ratio lever geometry and bearings in the pivot.  You get easy pull without messing with welding on the lever.

As a note, extending the lever will work, but with the quick adjust clutch you get easy pull with the added benefit of being able to adjust the clutch on the fly.  

Rick

mikesmith

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 07:51:34 PM »
I have both,more is better!