Author Topic: General questions and advice..  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

General questions and advice..
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:18:45 AM »
Hello guy's.
I'm new on this site ( and Dutch,so there might be some spelling errors in my text) and i'm also a greenhorn with the kx500. So i've got some questions for you..
I'm working on on a kx500 powered lawnmower to compete in the Dutch championship next year. I purchased a engine that was completely in parts. The previous owner couldn't tell me what year it was. I had 2 cylinders with it and made some pictures of those. Can you guy's tell me from what year this might be? I think it's past 89?
I would like to know for sure because i need to order al the bearing and seals to make it like new. So also the question if there have been modification's at the engine throughout the years?
I appreciate al the info i can get..

Gr. D-J.

Pictures:
http://i49.tinypic.com/jahq3c.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/11lkbvo.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/10wqiva.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2hfmdna.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2sbv4wl.jpg

Site: www.suicidalteam.webs.com
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:34:09 AM by Lawnmowerman »

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: Year??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:02:25 AM »
Hello and welcome to the site. Your cylinder is an 89-04.

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:21:04 AM »
Thank's a lot for the fast answer jfab..
Time for me to order some parts than..

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »
Wow.  A KX500 powered lawnmower. I need one of those.  I have seen some KX500 chainsaws here in Canada but no lawnmowers yet.  Welcome to the site. Cam.

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:09:07 AM »
Haha,there's a first for everything.
In the Netherlands there is a real championship for lawnmower racing. Almost everyone is using 600cc four stroke engines like the Honda CBR. The 600cc is the limit for engine size and has to have carbs. I thought it's about time to let them smell some two stroke fumes.
So i had the choice for using a CR500 or a KX500 engine. Also the Sabel and KTM was in the race. First of all i was shocked by the money these engines had to cost.
This engine i'm building right now was completely in parts,and the 2 cylinders had to be replated. So this one i could afford. But the main reason was that i know a man that used to race this machines. Oke it was sidecar racing,but they used the KX500 engine for years. So he is building me the engine and also puts in some extra horses.

Also a new question.
Because the engine has to fit in a rather small frame,it's going to be difficult to use the kickstart. How about giving this type of engines a push start? Difficult?

To give a impression about that lawnmower racing :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEE3tCuiN60

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 04:23:26 AM »
And I thought REDNECKS were only found in America :-D :-D
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:35:43 AM »
Use a remote starter, put a large nut on the end of the crank exposed thru the stator cover & have a remote DC electric motor to turn the crank. This is how alot are starting their high compression motors.
Hope this helps.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:47:25 AM »
I get your point. But i can already tell that it isn't going to work for me. I already drew the engine in on paper,and the crank is exactly behind some framework. Also the engine will fit in the frame beside the place i will have my feet. So actually there is no space to do so.
I just finished reading about the compression release valve. That might be useful to me. Just make it remote operated,and i think it could be push started more easily.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:48:59 AM by Lawnmowerman »

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 05:30:20 AM »
Lawnmowerman,
 That should work.  In Canada they use the KX500 chainsaws to compete in the unlimited class.  They use a remote motor for starting similar to what Doldguy is describing.  The KX500 motor should give you a competetive edge since the power is produced in a better manner for low velocity competition (I am assuming you are below 100kmh) that a multicylinder 600.  You could also use a snowmobile motor, 2 cyl 600cc 2-stroke with a built in pull start. Big HP available. No gearbox though so you would have to integrate the belt drive system. Cam.

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:13 AM »
Nice that you mention that. A snowmobile engine should be my first choise. But there is a small problem. In the Netherlands we are lucky to have 5 day's of snow. So realy no snowmobile to get over here. I could get it in the USA,but i'm afraid that when i get it i will be missing some parts. That means that i have to get parts for a second time in a row out of the USA. That wil be a very costly buisnes. I should prefer a complete snowmobile,but that's very expensive to get it to the Netherlands.
It's save to say it over here that we are working on a 6 cilinder 600cc boxer engine. TWO STROKE! Were going to use 6 KX80 cylinders without the powervalve and bore them to 100cc. Than fit it on a self casted engine.  We think that might produce a 150hp+. Than using a snowmobile belt drive system. That system is a big advantage i think.

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »
Well we working on it right now.
Progres is slow,bur were getting there..
Frame.

Parts for rebuilding the engine.

For mounting the wheels brake and sprocket.

Rear tyres and rims.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
 Would the rules allow you to build a sidewinder style chassis like a shifter Kart?

Larry

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
No there are strict regulations for dimensions,ground clearance,and suspension etc etc. The machine just has to look like a lawnmower and the engine has to be placed in the original engine bay..

Offline demographic

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
I have nothing to add to this thread other than I love to see some of the weirder forms of racing where theres a couple of strange rules that mean everything had to be designed fresh.

Bonkers but cool all the same.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 08:11:05 AM »

Bonkers but cool all the same.

Agreed!  Cool to see inovation that goes beyond stickers, graphics and a fat checkbook.  Most racing series could have a rulebook with only one rule: NO FAIR THINKING

Larry