Author Topic: Cylinder and Power Valve  (Read 2362 times)

Offline serafin

Cylinder and Power Valve
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:48:04 AM »
Hi everyone.  What is the best way to remove stuck power valves out of the cylinder.  I purchased a used cylinder and head that look to be in good usable condition with no cracks (it will need a re-plate).  The cylinder has sat in a box for several years and looks like the power valves have never ever been disassembled or cleaned.  The carbon build up is so thick and hard as a rock.  I was able to disassemble the front cover and remove the 2 bolts that hold the center valve holder without to much trouble and was able to remove the snap rings collar and seal and screw from the governor rod but I'm unable to remove the governor guide or any of the valves themselves.  I can move the governor rod about a 1/4 inch back and forth and the power valves will move about 1/8 inch up and down but thats about it.  I've sprayed it with oven cleaner and let it sit for several hours and that seemed to help a bit but not a whole lot.  I've tried various spray cleaners/solvents but have not had much luck.  So I'm asking for ideas.  I've been thinking about taking it to a radiator shop and having it dipped in their boiling tank.  Is this a good idea?  Any pro's and con's.  Is there a disassembly sequence when removing the parts.  Does it matter which side the governor rod can be removed?  All ideas are welcome.

Serafin   

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Cylinder and Power Valve
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »
Yeah sounds like it's time for a hot tank dip.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:30:06 AM »
Hi everyone.  What is the best way to remove stuck power valves out of the cylinder.  I purchased a used cylinder and head that look to be in good usable condition with no cracks (it will need a re-plate).  The cylinder has sat in a box for several years and looks like the power valves have never ever been disassembled or cleaned.  The carbon build up is so thick and hard as a rock.  I was able to disassemble the front cover and remove the 2 bolts that hold the center valve holder without to much trouble and was able to remove the snap rings collar and seal and screw from the governor rod but I'm unable to remove the governor guide or any of the valves themselves.  I can move the governor rod about a 1/4 inch back and forth and the power valves will move about 1/8 inch up and down but thats about it.  I've sprayed it with oven cleaner and let it sit for several hours and that seemed to help a bit but not a whole lot.  I've tried various spray cleaners/solvents but have not had much luck.  So I'm asking for ideas.  I've been thinking about taking it to a radiator shop and having it dipped in their boiling tank.  Is this a good idea?  Any pro's and con's.  Is there a disassembly sequence when removing the parts.  Does it matter which side the governor rod can be removed?  All ideas are welcome.

Serafin   
Sounds a lot like my motor!  :|

Offline vaaprider

• He's Ready
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:06:40 AM »
It might be cheaper to buy a can of carburetor/parts cleaner and let it soak.  If they are moving a little you can probably get them out, wrap a towel around the ends and pull them with a large pair of channel locks, worked great for me. Be careful.