Author Topic: Main bearings  (Read 2091 times)

kawdude

Main bearings
« on: February 07, 2004, 01:49:28 PM »
I'm starting to reassemble my engine and have a question about installing the lower seals and bearings.  Early I heated the case in the oven to 300 degrees for 12 minutes and the bearings would not drop into the case.

How hot and how long should the case be heated for the bearings to drop in.  

Will this effect the rubber on the seals?

Also, how do I know the seals are all the way in?  I put mine in and they appear to have  bottomed but there is still some sticking up on the inside of the case.  Is this normal?  My concern is that the part of the seal on the inside is partially blocking the oil hole from the cylinder.
Thanks!

kawdude

Main bearings
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 03:57:49 AM »
Help, help, help!

mikesmith

Main bearings
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 08:04:04 AM »
The case should be hot enough that if you put a drop of water on it itll boil off,212degrees,Ive seen a Pro Circuit use a hot plate at the races and he had to drive the bearings in.Did you put the bearings in the freezer?They need to be cold and even then you may need to press them in or use a big socket on the outer race and a hammer.DONT let the seals go past the oil drain holes in the case,they should be flush with the bottom of the hole,and use grease on them.

kawdude

Main bearings
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 10:59:09 AM »
I got it in!  (wasn't that line in a movie!)

All kidding aside, I placed the case in the oven after letting the oven preheat to 375 for 15 minutes.  I left the case in there for another 15 minutes and froze the crank and bearing and seal.  It just fell in there.  Did the same to other side for the output shaft bearing and the seal and it worked like a charm.  The steel around the seal doesn't shrink like cast of the bearing or the crank but worked great with a little tapping.