Author Topic: De-carboning a pipe?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Good

• Yo.
De-carboning a pipe?
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »
I'll admit I didn't search, but is there a good way I can de-carbon a pipe?  I understand the dents will still be there, but can I get rid of all that carbon buildup to make the scooter go faster? :mrgreen:

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: De-carboning a pipe?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »
this is basicly the same thing I've done, check out this site
http://www.piperepair.com/carbon.htm
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »
I hate to say this out loud but I will anyway. When I was young 12-14 maybe, I would take the pipe from my rm100 and put it in a small brush pile fire for a bit and them tap it with a rubber hammer. It got an unbelievable amout of carbon out. A little red neck Im sure but me were farmers and had red necks!
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline SCKawi500

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »
never thought of that, I have used an old spedo cable frayed the end a little, a varible drill with extreme caution, can go haywire on you though could lose finger ,eyes and what ever else gets in the way.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
1/2" sharp landscaping rocks. Put a few handfuls in with some soap and water and start shaking. I heard some old nuts and bolts work too! Just make sure you get them all out!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »
KXp,
 That is a good idea and would work well.  In the old days we used to light them up with a welding torch and burn it out. Smelly but fun.  With the oil and lean ratios I run I never encounter enough carbon to worry about.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »
No rocks they break into sharp fragments.

I do alot of gastanks with a handfull of sheetmetal screws metal prep and alot of shaking (have straped them to the back tire on my 4x4 in low range and let it clunk away for a while back tires off the ground)

for a pipe. I'd suggest a few cans of oven cleaner followed by a few handfulls of sheet metal screws. (sealed up of course). And shake shake shake

sheet screws work good cuz they are sharp and cut through the goo. But won't damage the metal with any shaking you can do.    Hex headTek screws work better due to being sharp at both ends
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:29:49 PM by Motorrad »

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:03:16 PM »
KXp,
 That is a good idea and would work well.  In the old days we used to light them up with a welding torch and burn it out. Smelly but fun.  With the oil and lean ratios I run I never encounter enough carbon to worry about.

I don't notice any real heavy buildup that would seriously effect performance except at the first few inches of pipe or where the pipe flange weld is. I usually scrape that out and don't worry to much about the rest of the pipe. I think you're right about the newer oils and proper jetting! Carbon buildup is not as huge a problem as it used to be if things are tuned right and you're on the gas enough to heat the pipe up a little. We used to bring our pipes into metal shop back in the 70's and give them the torch treatment like you stated. Back then the pipes were painted flat black and I can't remember anyone with a pretty nickle or chrome plated pipe!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »
KXp,
  Thats true. By the time it was time to decarbon the pipe it was also time to paint it. Cam.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:38:18 AM »
I hate to say this out loud but I will anyway. When I was young 12-14 maybe, I would take the pipe from my rm100 and put it in a small brush pile fire for a bit and them tap it with a rubber hammer. It got an unbelievable amout of carbon out. A little red neck Im sure but me were farmers and had red necks!
That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

You were thinking I was a red neck?  :-D

Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 03:36:44 PM »
I've always used a propane torch on the inside of the pipe.  Heat the carbon till it turns orange, then it just flakes off with a light scrape of flathead screwdriver.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 02:57:41 AM »

You were thinking I was a red neck?  :-D

No!  :-P :-D That's how we clean our bbq grills camping.  Just flip them over and cook them most of the way clean.  I was thinking about throwing the pipe in a fire, then tapping it.  All these ideas are great though.