Author Topic: Project KDX500 has begun !  (Read 25874 times)

Offline tschisi

Re: Project KDX500 has begun !
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »
When getting the kx street legal, don?t you need certificates for exhaust and noise emissions and stuff like that?
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 12:23:39 AM »
Cool project, good job so far!!

I started putting together some parts for the same kind of project.  I dont know if its something that I'll get done in 2 months... or 2 years.... but I saw the opportunity and went for it

I found a 1989 KDX200 frame on Ebay that came off a bike  that was already street licensed / ridden in Iowa... !!

I'm in Missouri, and I hear it can be a bit troublesome to get a 2 stroke street legal, but... if you take a bike thats already been street licensed / titled, its no big deal.  The DMV doesn't even notice at that point.

That, and I have a friend at a shop here that will inspect / sign off on anything I bring him, so inspection is no problem.

I've got a 1997 KX500, with a fair number of mods (pipe, ported cylinder, balanced crank, new piston, etc etc), I'm going to put that engine in that KDX frame, and as many of the other KX parts that will fit

Btw, that KDX frame was only $180 shipped .... how could I pass up on that deal ???!

Anyways.  Good luck on your project, I'll let you guys know when I start on mine too :)

Keep in mind one serious issue with your project. VIBRATION. The KX500 engine puts out a LOT of vibration, and I would bet my life that the 500 engine will harmonic vibration hammer that KDX frame to death. I would suggest having all the welds beefed and gusseted. Other than that sounds way cool !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline barryadam

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 06:28:58 AM »

Barry, I would like to see if I can get the KDX odometer setup to work on the KX500.. maybe you can help me with some pics. I am mainly wondering how the KDX front wheel hub drives the speedo unit ?

Rich,

I checked over the holidays and don't have any separate components to photograph.  You really can't see it on the Kawasaki company parts listing webpage, but the KDX hub is keyed and the speedo drive is a seal & spacer as well as having a keyed gear that fits the hub.  Since I am not using the odos any more, I still need to have the drives to get the sealing and spacing to use the original front wheel/hub.  I picked up a used '99 KX250 front wheel with traditional seals that I was going to switch to and make my own spacer, but never have gotten around to it yet.

So, sorry, no pics.

I DID however, get some fender pics.  I'll post them tonight from home.

Barry
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline SndyRds

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 06:47:31 AM »
Using a Moose lighting coil.
Is there a part #, or what application, did you use?
I'm wanting to buy one from Moose.
thanks

Offline alward25

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 08:10:01 AM »
spend the money and get the crank balanced, save a lot of headache.
"Let there be light"