Author Topic: Project KDX500 has begun !  (Read 25876 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Project KDX500 has begun !
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
Well, been thinking of this mod for a while, and thanks to Ebay, and a few new 1999 KDX200 components, it's ready for the assembly transformation. My goal was to have a NH DOT legal KX500. I like the aftermarket kits, but they are $440+ . I purchased all the Ebay KDX lighting components and wiring harness for under  $140.  I had to purchase a new KDX headlamp/numberplate assembly, and this was the most expensive part at a whopping $75 ! I also purchased a new Moose KX500 lighting coil which was $69. So I came in at $284, and the best part is with KDX components, there is no need for splicing and hacking. The KX500's ignition wiring will perfectly merge with the KDX lighting harness and components. Lastly the OEM KDX headlight looks perfect on the KX500 ! I'll update this thread as progress advances.

So phase 1: Is retro'ing the KDX headlamp assembly to the KX500's triple tree. The upper brackets were a simple bolt on mod ! SWEET ! They are installed as pictured, and will work perfect for the upper mount of the headlight assembly:

Now things got more challenging. The lower bracket on the KDX's bolts to two casted standoffs on the lower triple tree. The KDX's standoffs are about 5-1/2" apart. The good news is there is two standoffs on the KX500's as well, BUT they are only 5" apart. I tried for hours to simply bend the lower bracket, but just could not make it work right. So a buddy of mine cut notches in the bracket tabs, bent them inward to 5", then tig weld filled the notches. I also had to machine flat the KX500 standoffs and tap two M6 holes to mount the lower bracket.

Here's a pic stock KX500, you can see the misalignment issue :

Here's a pic of the finished mounting. The lower triple tree is machined flat, tapped, and the bracket ears are cut, and re-welded :

So thats it for phase one. Here's a pic of the final mod. Looks OEM SWEET !! :

Next I move on to modifying the stator plate, stay tuned for phase 2.

01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Polar-Bus

Phase 2 installing the lighting coil.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
This mod is not going to be as bad as I thought. The great news is that the KX500 already has the necessary two M5 tapped standoffs ( I'm guessing KX500's use the older , early 90's KDX250's stator plate), and to my delight the Moose lighting coil will bolt right on. The bad news is in stock form, the inside of the flywheel hits the coil when installed. Moose does comment in the instructions that "some" KX500 stator plates will have this occurance. Moose further instructs you to remove 2mm of the surface of the standoffs to gain the necessary flywheel clearence. Other than that, all's that's needed is to carefully route the new additional yellow lighting through the stator, through the rubber grommet, and inside the wire shield. I melted an additional hole in the grommet with a hot thin steel wire, and then sprayed WD40 on the wire and slowly fed the wire up through the existing KX500's stator outer plastic shielding. It's a tight fit, and takes patients, but looks OEM, and won't be affected by the elements. Here's a pic of the stock stator with the flywheel removed:

Here's a pic of the lighting coil kit:

You will need two M5X30 mm bolts to install the coil to the stator plate. And a pic of the lighting coil installed:

Well, that's it for now. Next I move on to the tail light, and finding a home to mount the KDX voltage regulator. Stay tuned for more pics!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:38:11 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline drewh14

Re: Project KDX500 has begun !
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »
very nice! I'm looking to do a similar conversion this winter. The only worry i've had was the lighting coil. How did you take off the required 2mm on the flywheel?

Offline dubious01

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
haha
Thats awesome.
get rid of the 500 stickers and go sport bike hunting.
Hammer on a few hardleys too.... they like that! Haha
 :mrgreen:
I'd rather CrAsH and eAt sHIzIt THAN eAt rOOsT

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
very nice! I'm looking to do a similar conversion this winter. The only worry i've had was the lighting coil. How did you take off the required 2mm on the flywheel?

You don't machine the flywheel, you machine 2 mm off the face of the lighting coil mounts on the stator plate. This moves the coil away from hitting the inside of the flywheel.  Thank god for a Bridgeport milling machine and a great welder, otherwise this KDX conversion would have been a lot more challenging. 
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline drewh14

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »
Ahh Ok thats sounds a heck of a lot easier then trying to alter the flywheel! :-D

So is this correct? Think it cant me done with a dremel?  :evil: If not i suppose a trip to the machinist is in order.

*edit* prettied the picture up a bit  :-D

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:48:23 AM by drewh14 »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:39:44 AM »
drewh14, Nice ! Yup that's correct. You are awesome at photoshop images mods. (I suck at modding images) . Yes, i'm sure you could just grind the standoffs with a dremel tool, then clean the surface with a file to ensure flatness.
  I'll have to steal some of your images, and paste them into my posts for more precise clarification of the details !  Is that ok ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:48:11 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:59:33 AM »
I haven't done this, but it looks like another option for mounting the headlight is to use KLX rubber bands. It's the same plastics as KDX, but doesn't use the bolt on brackets. These bikes had the same inverted forks as a KX, so I think the headlight could just be clipped on in a matter of seconds after the original number plate is removed. I'll try this and report back next time I have a reason to pull the number plate off my KX500. Who knows if these rubber bands are still readily available though. A lot of other parts are hard to get for this bike now.

I just figured I'd throw it out there for people that don't have the ability to fabricate the lower bracket.

Offline drewh14

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »
ahh thats a terrible picture on my part. i had about 5 min before work so it looks terrible. I'll get ya some more clear ones tonight.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:39:52 AM »
I haven't done this, but it looks like another option for mounting the headlight is to use KLX rubber bands. It's the same plastics as KDX, but doesn't use the bolt on brackets. These bikes had the same inverted forks as a KX, so I think the headlight could just be clipped on in a matter of seconds after the original number plate is removed. I'll try this and report back next time I have a reason to pull the number plate off my KX500. Who knows if these rubber bands are still readily available though. A lot of other parts are hard to get for this bike now.

I just figured I'd throw it out there for people that don't have the ability to fabricate the lower bracket.

I tried to purchase the rear fender off the '90-93 KDX250 to make a cleaner look when using a KDX tail light, but the fender is NLA from Kawi, dammit ! bummer. The KDX fender looks VERY similar to the KX500 too !!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 10:58:34 AM »
When I installed the Moose lighting coil 2mm was not enough, I dont recall the exact measurement, but I think I ended up taking off between 3 and4 MM . I think I milled off about  1MM at a time, then trial fitted it until everything cleared properly.  I also used the Moose voltage stabilizer. I used the Acerbis number plate/ light because I liked the look.The Acerbis uses the rubber strap type of mounting and have given no problems for five years.  Your KDX plate/ light looks good too. That threaded hole on the center of the upper triple tree, is where I mounted the voltage stabilizer.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »
Phase 3, the tail light. First tip for those of you who want something DOT compliant. The stock KDX tail light only has 2 wires which is a running light only. A neat swap trick I learned is that 2001 and up Yamaha WR250/450 uses basically the exact same light assembly, however the WR's use a 3 wire, running AND brake light. Heres a pic of both, The 3 wire WR light is on the left, and the KDX lamp is on the right: :

Both lights use a simple 3 stud mount :

So all's I did was drill the stock KX500 fender to accept the lamp. You want to make sure you place the lamp as far back on the fender as possible to prevent the tire from contacting the bolts on the underside of the fender upon a suspension bottom out:

And the semi-final install:

The only further mod I will need to do to the tail light is to seal the base of the lamp to the fender with some clear RTV silicone. The lamp base is flat, but the fender is curved so I don't want water and mud leaking past the lamp.

01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Polar-Bus

Phase 4, mount the voltage regulator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
The stock KDX200's mount the voltage regulator under the seat bolted to the top of the frame near the rear of the airbox. Here's a pic of the KDX200 mounting:

This location won't work on a KX500 as there is no room under the seat. So after severall options I found a secure, and convienent location under the LH numberplate. It also makes perfect use of the OEM connector to the KDX wiring harness:

The only issue I might have with this location is it's bolted to the plastic rear fender. Sometimes voltage regulators run hot, and might melt the plastic fender, so this is something I will have to pay close attention to.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:32:00 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline SCKawi500

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »
Polar, thats a fine job you have done with the light kit, I have been wantng to do the same thing, just havent been intrested in buying that 450.00 kit. Thanks for the tips, are you going to install blinkers too? I wish I could so I could ride on the street ,that would be a lot of fun.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 01:00:28 AM »
Polar, thats a fine job you have done with the light kit, I have been wantng to do the same thing, just havent been intrested in buying that 450.00 kit. Thanks for the tips, are you going to install blinkers too? I wish I could so I could ride on the street ,that would be a lot of fun.

I am pondering over installing blinkers. Per NH DOT law, they are NOT required on a motorcycle. They would however be a nice convienent addition, but they add weight, and stick out (possible getting damaged off roading). I have heard that Kawasaki actually made a KDX200 "S" model in Europe that has FULL electrics, and even had oil injection, but info is slim on this model.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1