Author Topic: Bearings Question  (Read 2971 times)

NastyNick

Bearings Question
« on: January 31, 2004, 09:34:22 AM »
d**n bearings!  As some of you might remember from my post below, I am in the process of tearing my K5 down to rebuild/weld the bike.  After I got the swing arm off the frame and the linkage removed from the rocker-arm, I noticed that just about all the bearings are shot on my bike.  Go figure, it's a '93 and the DFO's probably never did any maint on it.

Anyway, my question is, how do I get the bearings out?  I can get the dust cap and inner bearing out.  The outer (where the needle bearings are) seems like it's frozen in, which it might be.

I am also looking at the steering-stem bearings, but they seem to be in good shape.  I think I will just clean them up and repack the heck out of them.  getting the races out of those seems like waaaayyy to much work.

Any help would be appricated!

-NN

kawdude

Bearings Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 03:58:59 PM »
I have 94 and the previous owner did nothing with the bike.  The only bearing that seemed ok were stem bearings.  Make sure you check the clutch pivot shaft needle bearings my were missing!  Are you asking how to remove the swingarm bearings or the linkage or both?

NastyNick

Bearings Question
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 04:14:37 PM »
both...my Cylmers says to use a bearing press.  don;t have one, so it looks like I will have to take it into the shop.  bummer.

kawdude

Bearings Question
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 05:49:55 PM »
yeah, the outer sleeves will need to be pressed in and out.  Maybe there's another way...

Rick

Bearings Question
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 11:05:33 AM »
Actually, you won't have to take it to a shop if you have large enough sockets.  I posted a thread a couple months ago on changing the bottom shock bearing using a long bolt and two sockets, but will work just as well for the swing arm bearings, just use a bigger bolt.  Also, using a fine thread bolt works better as well.

Let me know if you can't find the thread and I will recreate.

Rick

kawdude

Bearings Question
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 11:12:25 AM »
ah, a puller contraption!

NastyNick

Bearings Question
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 08:14:08 AM »
Thanks Rick!  I found your other thread.  I give that a go.  My Cylmers has something like that illustrated  in the section on steering stem bearings.  I'll photo copy it and post it here.  Pretty nifty way to install the steering-stem bearing races.