Author Topic: Look at what happened Sunday  (Read 4358 times)

Offline JohnJr

Look at what happened Sunday
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:52:25 AM »
I let an unemployed jackass  ride my bike and he missed 2nd gear at full throttle dont know wat he did but this what happened,Bike had a rebuilt top-end,cylinder was just replated fresh oil,filter changed,the rod broke in two pieces,crankshaft and bearings are still good.Question is will the over reving would cause this. Im trying to get back on the road, The bike is a 2001 K-5 wouldnt mine trying to buy a bottom end with a good transmission and cases ,My electrical,carb. is still good and

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Look at what happened Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
How many hours on that piston? It has burned oil on the bottom side of the piston which is a sign of overheating (piston temps). I suspect maybe the piston tried to seize in the bore and the rod just pulled the wrist pin out of the piston.

Anything can happen during an over rev but I've done the same thing (miss shift) and never had a failure of any kind. That sucks dude. I hope you get it running again.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:34:11 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:42:24 AM »
I hate it when that happens! Every time I have let someone ride my toys in the last 40 years it has always cost me money! I hope you can find the parts to fix it. You could talk to Stewart, if anyone has spare motors it would be him.............

Alan :x :x :x
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:09:44 AM by alan »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline bennieben

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:38:27 AM »
thats too bad man. my buddies were sore at me this last outing because i didnt lend anyone none of my bikes. the last time i let a buddy shoot the hill with my kx he fell twice. a radiator was bent, the plastics were scratched up, and the grips were ripped. and they wonder why i wont lend it out anymore. ive had tools for many years and never had any problems. the day i lend them out suddenly they break. i wont lend anyone else anything ever again. i might be an asshole in their eyes, but ill at least still have my bike to ride whenever i want and my tools will be ready for when i need to do repairs.
teamgodzilla since 2004...a dirtbike & atv riding club.  if your friends dont ride, then its time to get new friends :)    "a day without wheelies, is like i didnt go riding at all" (ben peralta)

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:09:24 AM »
ANOTHER CAST PISTON FAILURE   :-D

Offline MonsterKX

• 1995 "Fire Breather" project.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:52:43 AM »
Amen on letting others ride my stuff and use my tools!!!  I always thought this only happened to me.  Sorry to see yours was so serious!  Hang in there!
Ride hard!

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:05:02 AM »
Hey guys thanks alot, Im trying to find a bottom end with a good trans,and good cases,maybe with a crank and rod anyone with one let me know.The piston was a PRO-X TYPE.   I still have some good parts on the motor that is good This thing is like a bad nigtmare,I rode this bike at least twice a month for about an hour.         Whats the deal with the Cast Pistons. Email is john.nibblett@yahoo.com if someone has one for sale THANKS GUYS

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »
i'll post a picture of my cast piston problem too.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »
PULLLEEZZZ.  Not more carnage!  GAWD, that's horrible.  I've never seen such a mess.
Man, sorry to hear your story, John.  Those pics are SO upsetting to see. I'm feeling queasy from those images.  Mark this thread NSFW.

I see you have already assessed your chances of being compensated by your use of the words:  "unemployed jackass".
"Unemployed" being the descriptor of his funds situation.
"jackass" being his cooperative attitude.

Do you need some help with the persuasion/negotiation?

It can be rebuilt.  Just takes time and $.

Wow.  Good lesson for the rest of the community.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »
thats too bad man. my buddies were sore at me this last outing because i didnt lend anyone none of my bikes. the last time i let a buddy shoot the hill with my kx he fell twice. a radiator was bent, the plastics were scratched up, and the grips were ripped. and they wonder why i wont lend it out anymore. ive had tools for many years and never had any problems. the day i lend them out suddenly they break. i wont lend anyone else anything ever again. i might be an asshole in their eyes, but ill at least still have my bike to ride whenever i want and my tools will be ready for when i need to do repairs.

Sooo true...I'm the same way as I've been down that road before.

John that looks as bad as it gets.  Good luck on finding another decent motor, most the K5's being parted out pretty fugged up.  The heat marks on the crankshaft are pretty intriquing too.

Also I only run a forged piston in the KX500 and Suzuki LT500 motors as they have bad habit of breaking the piston with the high stress of poor rod angle
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:21:15 AM by 3Razors »

stewart

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 03:01:11 PM »
this is why wiseco forged pistons are a great deal they are cheaper than engine cases,,,cast dont last

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 03:14:08 PM »
Hey thanks Steward, Ill go with the Wiesco next time been trying to get parts located and screw that OEM rod Im going HOT ROD. Any other ideas Im open, thanks for clearing up the difference.My mechanic look at it trany is good,electrical good, crank good,

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
don't get the hot rod, JUNK.

stewart

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »
kaw  rider is right  .no hot rod stick with stock kx rods

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 04:56:14 PM »
Okay, OEM you Guys know best,I called the gentleman I bought it from and the bottom end was never rebuilt ,the bike is an 2001.